#1 hole issue

I thought I posted before but don’t see it now. A thread on the same topic exists but suggested I post new topic.
I have a problem getting a draw on #1. JP says #1 and 2 are the easiest. I find #1 difficult. I got a new harp and have the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I’m going to just keep working on it with all of the methods JP has provided.

I’m not 100% clear about your problem. What is the #1 draw doing?

No sound or flat sound. Thanks for your reply.

This is a very common issue with your technique. You are accidentally bending the note which is very very common in holes 1-3 and it’s particularly difficult with the 2 draw. It doesn’t matter if it’s hole 1, 2 or 3, the way you deal with it is the same. You have to practice breathing. You want to breath straight in. Most beginners think they are doing this but are actually bending the air flow. Here is something to try. Hold our harmonica with 1 hand and hold your nose (to stop you from breathing through it) with your other. Now focusing on your breathing inhale straight in. Chances are it’s sound better for you. Many beginners can play 1-3 draw easily while holding their nose but can’t play the notes or bend them flat, when they don’t hold their nose. Once you get comfortable making the right noises holding your nose try it without holding your nose.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. I will definitely try your suggestion. Not to bending lesson yet. Nice to know this.

OK, I tried your suggestion. It seems to have worked. We’ll see if I can repeat it later on.

Once you understand what you were doing wrong it is very easy to get it right. I have no doubt that you will be able to repeat later with very little effort.

Thanks again.