A Few Questions

So here’s the deal:
I’ve been trying to play blues, but sometimes when bending or playing blow 7-10 I get a high-pitched ring that gradually gets louder over a period of about three seconds before it peaks. (for any fellow percussionists, it’s sort of like a roll on a cymbal ending with a crash, to make a reference). That being said, I hope I’ve described it well enough for you to understand what I mean, and if so, how can I keep myself from doing that?

As a second question, where can I find resources (preferably free online ones) to aid my quest to be a great blues harp player? Anything from jazz to Blues Brothers-type stuff is what I’m looking for. Any help with this or my other question would be greatly appreciated. :]

Howdy Trevor!

I never heard a harp sounding like the cymbals…But then again, I’ve never heard anyone scream in outer space either. Meaning, I haven’t heard it all! Hehehe!

Anywho…

On the 7-10 Blows, on my harps, especially when they’re new, I’ve experienced what I call “accidental overblows.” Meaning, those higher pitches pop up when you least expect them.

One way to overcome it is use less or softer breath on the higher register of the harmonica. And/or in removing the covers to do some regapping – The lower register may be gapped too big, and the higher register may be gapped too tight/low.

So do the opposite to each, respectively…and a fine tune adjustment on the reeds will usually take care of it.

As far as finding Blues and virtually any examples of what kinds of music you’re looking for, a place called youtube.com is your best bet!!

Hope this helps!

Keep on Harpin’!

I think SPD is right on regarding the 7 through 10 blows. What you’re hearing is over blows and his statement regarding the reeds is also dead on.

Google Jon Gindick, Adam Gussow or just harmonica blues on You Tube and you’ll get a world of info on how to play the blues. Also look up players like Kim Wilson and watch their videos of actually playing and this is how to learn.

Play, play, play,play and pl…

Barry

Thanks, both of you! I’m always grateful for advice that helps me improve.
Keep on harpin’!