Begginner in need of help!

Hey everyone! I just started playing harmonica a few days ago and I love it! I’m not very patient and I want to learn quick. It’s pretty hard to just learn via youtube, even though it’s the only way for me. So I’m just wondering if you have any tips for practice I can do to help me get better. Just basics. I know youtube have great guides and “how to” videos but it’s hard to find the right one. I used to play hockey and I had this paper with different workouts I had to do every day to get stronger and faster and more flexible. I’m looking for something like that So…yeah anyone got any tips? All help is appreciated!
~Albin

Whoa!!! Hawkeye, you can get JP’s learn how to play DVD set, Harmonica Academy, and a few others that will most likely help. But, I think that you will find that there is not a quick way to learn harmonica! When I first started out I really didn’t understand the complexities of this simple little instrument. A musical instrument it is, not necessarily a toy. All though they do make toy harmonica’s. I encourage you to continue with your enthusiasm. Concentrate on playing good clean single notes. You should have a key of C harmonica, but that is not necessarily required.
Practice, (that’s a dirty word, by the way) practice the scale at metronome speed of 60 BPM
4=blow, -4=draw, 5, -5, 6, -6, -7, 7, -8, 8, -9, 9, -10, 10, then back down.
Then go 4 -4 5 -4 4 -4 5 -5 6 -5 5 -4 4 -4 5 -5 6 -6 -7 7 -8 8 -8 7 -7 -6 6 -5 5 -4 4 -4 5 -5 6 -6 -7 7 -8 8 -9 9 -10 10 then back down.
When you can play that cleanly, speed up to say 80 BPM.

Google 1000 harptabs and learn a few tunes, then I in courage you to record yourself and post on this here forum, we love to hear each other play. And most definitely, make sure that you are having fun!!! We are a friendy bunch and I hope that I did not scare you off!!! SPD is alot better at explaining things than I am.
Happy Harpin’!!!

Note: by no means am I an expert! I’ve only been playing 20 months!

Tyson is right on! Keep it fun, enjoy!

I hope you don’t mind if I use your thread to ask one of my own questions, so anyway…

I’m really having trouble learning to bend. I have basically mastered the deep relaxed position and articulation and single notes and chords and everything like that, but I just can’t figure out how to bend, Help!

Ask away! When you figure it out, tell me! I can some what bend, but it is hard to grasp. I have beem told by a few others to keep working on it and all of a sudden, you can do it! I believe JP as well as others have explained the mechanics of it, it’s just training your mouth to do it. Good luck! Happy Harpin’!! ;D

Oh, I think it’s called–Eureka!!!

@ Ty-Man:

We are a friendy bunch and I hope that I did not scare you off!!!

Well if that doesn’t specifically do it, methinks we’re in good shape, eh, Ty-Man?!

SPD is alot better at explaining things than I am.

As usual, you did a pretty great job without lil ole me. Keep up the good work all of us!

@ J~J

hope you don't mind if I use your thread to ask one of my own questions

Nah, it’s all good!

so anyway...

I’m really having trouble learning to bend. I have basically mastered the deep relaxed position and articulation and single notes and chords and everything like that, but I just can’t figure out how to bend, Help!

Well it is when we have so many posts and topic threads about bends, it makes your head bend er um spin! Hehehehe!

So therefore, about the only thing I can add to this is what all the great teachers big and small say, and that is:

Yes, it’s absolutely true - You can’t figure out how to bend -Until YOU figure out how to bend!

Unconsciously, I’ve done it for about 20+ years or so. Consciously, only about in the last 8 weeks of my current 8-month lifelong journey now.

Don’t mean diddly squat in the overall scheme of the Harmonica Universe…yet - But it’s still a pretty big accomplishment to me nonetheless.

Nothing else more I really can actually say on the matter but:

Just keep at it!

Have Fun!

Peace & SPD Out!

Here’s a how to from JP http://www.harmonica.com/blog/1087-harmonica-bending.html

I also like using this software http://www.harmonicagame.com/ 8)

For me I don’t really know by ear if I got a good clean bend but with this software you can watch it bend
and then you’ll know what it’s suppose to sound like 8) Cool Again!

Good luck and don’t give up It takes a long time and just wait when you need to use it in a tune :o

Took me close to a year If I remember right, but I was learning other things at the same time so I didn’t get discouraged.

Harp on!!