Bending Beeping noises

Hey, I’ve been playing the harmonica for a while now, and can do bends up to the 6th hole. But the strange thing is, that when I try to bend on the 7 th hole, it wont bend, but produces a really high beeping noise.
I have a Hohner Special 20 in the key of C. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or it depends on the harp. Should I buy a more expensive one (not really into that), change something about my harmonica, or keep trying to make it more flexible (hasn’t worked so far)?
Thanks in advance for any help you give me
Michiel

Hey Mike, holes 1 through 6 are commonly draw bends and holes 7 through 10 are blow bends. If you overblow the 7 hole you should get a strange sound other than what it normally produces without overblowing.

Barry

Howdy Ben!

Barry’s correct. 7 Draw is never really practically used ever unless you’re Howard Levy or Mike Stevens doing a demonstration on skills. Then it becomes an Overdraw. And your squealing/beeping is really choking the reed farther than it has to be.

However, if you’re still determined to get to it, you may have to go into your harp and regap it. Then what David Harp suggests with practice is that when you feel the note bending, take notice of your mouth position. He says there’s a “middle point” where the notes bend on one side, and the notes choke up and/or stop bending on the other side.

You have to find that middle point on your own bending playing. And those squeals and beeping noises should all but disappear for you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, I’ll try torturing my harmonica soon again

Ben, SPD has it right your choking the reed and it no longer produces music, rather it’s just noise.

Barry