Best Harmonica Books

Thought I would ask the opinions of others on what books they think have been most helpful in their harp learning journey.

When I first came back to the harp after a 50 year absence I sought out numerous publications from music stores. Supplies were sparse, old and were mostly rubbish. Still I hold that even if I learnt one thing of value it was worth it.

For me I rate highly Harmonica For Dummies by Winslow Yerxa. It is the most complete publication I have come across ie covering everything from beginner to expert, plus all music styles. At first I was put off by the Dummy title but its not so simple really ie just written in a style of being easy for anyone to read & understand.

There are 2 other books I also cherish ie The Harp Handbook by Steve Baker & Irish & American Fiddle Tunes by Glen Weiser. I currently have on order a book from John Gindick about Bluesifying Melodies & can’t wait to get my hands on it.

For me I rate highly Harmonica For Dummies by Winslow Yerxa. It is the most complete publication I have come across ie covering everything from beginner to expert, plus all music styles. At first I was put off by the Dummy title but its not so simple really ie just written in a style of being easy for anyone to read & understand.

David glad you listed that book because that’s the only one I have and I agree with you lots of info.

I would definitely like to be a small library for reference. So am interested in all the other books out there.

Harp on!!

Jon Gindick’s “Rock n’ Blues Harmonica” is excellent.

Instant Harmonica by David McKelvy is my favorite!
I’ve also got
Rock ’ blues harmonica by Jon Gindick - it got some really good and eay blues riffs , but it is to much reading.

So far, I haven’t studied from any harmonica book. But I am going to get The Harp Handbook by Steve Baker. JP said it’s a MUST have.

I am interested in all the other good books out there.

This is a good thread! :slight_smile:

Ashish

Here is another site for beginner and advanced books… Just bought the 101 Blues riffs, but can’t comment on the quality yet.

[url]harmonicaworld.net[url]

Plus for the players from the UK, these guys offer lessons

Flip

Lets try that again

http://harmonicaworld.net/index.html

Thanks for the link Catch ya,

That’s seems like a pretty cool way to learn blues, I got to figure out how to convert
Blues and Beyond

Item Number id1014
£9.99 £9.99 Remove
Item total: £9.99
Total: £9.99 GBP

Blues and Beyond

Total:£9.99GBP
Click to view purchase details

Into U.S. dollars but its downloadable which is what I like…On the computer learn on my schedule.

Thanks for the nice link.

Harp on

Joe,

9.99 pounds is equal to about $15.52 in US. Don’t have a pound key on this puter

Here is another site for beginner and advanced books.. Just bought the 101 Blues riffs, but can't comment on the quality yet.

Flipside, Did you download or did you order the Physical book, let me know how you like it, the stuff on that sight looks
real interesting I might download one. It would probably cost too much to ship to USA.

Are you from USA or over there.

Harp on!!

Joe

I downloaded it and I am going to take it to Staples and have them bind it into a book. Haven’t done alot with it yet, but they take riffs from big names and simplify them somewhat so you can learn the basic riff and then you can modify them to fit your needs. some of the names are

Sonny Terry
Deford Bailey
Little Walter
Howard Levy
and lots of others

Some of them are a bit over my playing ablility but with time I will figure it out. The music is written in Standard music and tab. Plus when you download you will receive mp3 to play along with.

Good luck and keep on harpin :wink:

Flip

Joe

Barry has this same book. Maybe he could add some insight… I just went to that site and think I will be buying the Blues Jam Factory also. Fits more with the music I am playing

Flip

Hey Catch Ya, what’s good about this ebook is the MP3 that comes with it plays each riff three times, first at normal speed then at two slower speeds. The other issue with the MP3 is I burned a copy from my computer and printed the entire book and put it in a three ring binder and I can take it with me in the car and using the CD I sit in the parking lot while my wife is in quilts shops buying fabric or whatever. This is a very good book!

Barry

Nice thanks alot,

I like the idea of bringing it to staples and have them bind in for me kind of professional,
I didn’t know they could do that.

Ya I was watching some of his demos on his sight and you got a glimpse of the tab,
and it was really cool how they broke down the tab so you could play it like some of
the masters. Not as well but, I was trying with a glimpse of the tab I saw on the web
sight, and it was sounding a little like it.

I’ll probably start with the blues and beyond the very first one. They say its for beginners and that would be me especially for blues, I’m a little better on tunes but definitely want to learn blues. Thanks again.

Harp on!!

I really love the exercises at the back of THE HARP PLAYER’S HAND BOOK by Steve Baker…

Definitely advanced stuff but if you’ve got your bends cookin’ the scales he teaches will take your playing to the next level…

Tough stuff…

Not for everyone but might be right for you.

jp

If you are NOT into playing the Blues, a verry good book (with CD) is from Brendan Power:
=== Play Irisch Music on a Blues Harp.===

http://www.brendan-power.com/Play%20Irish%20Music%20on%20the%20Blues%20Harp.htm

Have Fun, John

I think the absolute best BEGINNERS book is Harmonica Boot Camp by Sandra and Dennis Cooper. www.harmonicabootcamp.com

I really like Dennis’s playing style. I have 3 of his CDs. They make for terrific listening.

I know he’s on You Tube but I’m not good enough to get it to our site here to let you sample.

HarmonicaTonk

Here he is I think 8) 8)

Harp On!!

is he breathing and playing ?

Through his nose is my best guess ::slight_smile:

Then when you get really good you can breathe through your eyes and ears ;D ;D

Harp On!!