Booker White's Delta Blues

This guy is amazing. I just discovered him while doing some research on Delta Blues.

Booker White - Aberdeen Mississippi Blues HIFI

Is it just me, or does his style remind you of a great harmonica player? ::slight_smile:

• Ashish

Well, the name rang a bell and after much searching I found I had this track on a CD “The devils music”

Along with 2 tracks from this fella

Sonny Blake - One Room Country Shack

Wow! H-Rod!

Great minds think like me – Even if we come to different conclusions! :wink:

It’s all good! :slight_smile:

Seems both our choices can fit on all these great Blues performances, eh?! :smiley:

Rock on, yo!!

Son House, he got the blues, for sure 8) 8)

Son House - John The Revelator -Version Estudio

he is the blues :wink: :wink:

To encapsulate the liner notes from my copy of Son House ‘The Original Delta Blues’ CD:

“…(From) ‘John the Revelator’ and Grinnin’ in Your Face’…the compelling attractions of blues singing and God’s ministry created a turmoil in him that he never fully resolved.”

I can dig where he was coming from. An example of something similar is in that “Owl Jolson” cartoon posted in one of our threads here. Meaning the Old World ways conflicting with the New World music…Fortunately, the New World music won out.

By the same token, I recall hearing about Bing Crosby who was a strict practicing Roman Catholic. Yet he was also a singer/entertainer too.

He was conflicted because he thought it sacriligeous to sing Christmas and holy songs in recordings and on the radio.

Legend had it that his friend Al Jolson - who sang Kol Nidre in the “Jazz Singer” and other Jewish cantor songs elsewhere - convinced Bing that his voice was God’s gift to the world, and therefore he had no other choice but to use it to sing God’s songs everyone everywhere on all manner of record/radio and movie formats!

Whether the story is true or not, still, well, the rest as we know is history, eh?!

Perhaps also, Son House never heard that legend, nor did anyone specifically tell him this either. It of course made him who/what he was; and certainly that’s a good thing too!!

Rock on, yo!

I enjoyed all the videos … never heard Son House before. Who’s the harmonica player on Levee Camp Moan? That was some kickass playing!

By the way, Bukka White’s playing and rhythm reminded me of Sonny Terry. If you listen closely, I think you’ll hear a resemblance somewhere.

Ashish

Howdy Asish!

This is one of those times, among quite a few here, when I love doing research because I never know where it’ll take me and/or what I’m going to find! Again, for me, this was/is a real mind blower and simply fun at that!

So hopefully too, I can put in this in some perspective and tie it all in together, because it actually does tie in together quite nicely.

The harp player is none other than one Alan Wilson, who - amongst other things - is best known as the leader of the mid 60s hippie group “Canned Heat.”

I started my journey here:

Canned Heat/Alan Wilson…Harmonica Review Part 1 .029

Canned Heat/Alan Wilson…Harmonica review Part 2 .030

Which took me over to here:

Canned Heat - On The Road Again (feat. Alan Wilson)

Now in the most popularly heard studio-cut/radio version, the talented genius Wilson actually layed down different tracks on such things as guitar, harmonica and vocals; and in final edit put them all together to get everything in the great trippy sounds of “On The Road Again”:

CANNED HEAT - ON THE ROAD AGAIN

However, in yet another live version of this most famous hit song - It’s not Alan “The Blind Owl” Wilson playing the harp. No - It’s actually band member Bob “The Bear” Hite, who seen here was/is just as accomplished at doing harp as Alan was:

Canned Heat - On The Road Again

Groovy!

So it took me over to the official Alan Wilson site; where so much more can be learned here:

http://blindowl.net/index.html

From the Home Page, you’ll find that The Blind Owl helped the rest of the world rediscover both Bukka ‘Booker’ White and Son House!

Clicking onto the Biography, Photo Gallery, and other links, you’ll find what his many other contributions were/are!

The story doesn’t end there though, as Alan Wilson is one my favorite players of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road_Again_(Canned_Heat_song)

Along with Jason Ricci above – Pat Missin and Wanderin Wilf each give a little something something also, adding to the legacy of this amazing performer who unfortunately met his untimely end as so many others of his generation did!

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q19.html

http://www.harpsurgery.com/canned-heat-on-the-road-again/

So hope this helps to answer your questions!

Smiles!

Thanks for reading!

Keep on Harpin’!

Wow!

Cool or what thanks SPD enjoy the heck out of that ;D ;D ;D

Harp ON!!

dude -
great inspiring take off.
thanks

paul
(special 20 is in the mail)
:slight_smile:

…a 60’s hippie group…??? Hell, everybody in the 60’s was a hippie. Except for the cowboys and the straits, and some of them were hippie wanna be’s. Canned Heat was a 60’s Rock and Roll group. Had a large biker following too.

a 60's hippie group.............?!?!?!?!? Hell, everybody in the 60's was a hippie.

Well I never saw the Rat Pack or Elvis as hippies. Albeit Elvis had his big hair and mod wardrobe outfits reflective of the times.

As did 60’s Motown groups, while in Detroit before Berry Gordy up and moved his operations to Los Angeles in the early 70s.

Except for the cowboys and the straits, and some of them were hippie wanna be's.

Well I don’t recall the 60’s British Invasion bands from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones, Herman’s Hermits, The Yardbirds and the like being called hippie groups. Sure though, merely a few years later afterward, some like the Beatles went through phases, major ones at that. Again, reflective of the times they were in.

But Rock n’ Roll – more so than any other style of music – has gone through many major phases itself.

Soft/Pop Rock; Psychedelic/Acid Rock; Nu-Wave/New Age Rock; Punk/Funk Rock; Southern/Blues Rock - the list goes on and on.

And during one of these phases, certain 60s rock groups such as Credence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane along with Canned Heat and many others emerged and fit into the category of Hippie bands.

Many like Led Zeppelin and the Who outlived the times; and now they’re music is just referred to as “Classic Rock” for gosh sakes, go figure!

Yet Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and some others like Alan Wilson will forever be associated with the short dynamic lives they’ve led and the great contributions they made. But it also remains as to when they lived and made their contributions too.

For the readers, here and there, near and far, for those who weren’t even born during this turbulent Baby Boomer Coming of Age decade producing the Love Child/Flower Power and more era(s) – It’s this writer’s intent to better pinpoint the historical times of where, when, and how this particular band rose to prominence.

Henceforth, not as a pejorative, but only as a popular widely-held adjective - The use of “a 60s Hippie group” to help describe Canned Heat in context and subject matter was/is an acceptable and accurate one.

Smiles!

Rock on, yo!

Thank you street player dude for your post about Alan Wilson. I’m his sister and our family has recently launched www.alanwilsoncannedheat.com. It contains many of his written and spoken interviews, articles he wrote about Son House and Charlie Patton, as well as a forum. Check it out when you have a chance!