Can someone 'splain the Blues?

Long time instrumentalist, but I have kind weak knowledge of music theory.

When you are playing Blues - and really anything with a chord structure - do all the chords have to be the same? Does every ‘I’ chord need to be the same verse/riff?

Also, I read that I should target blow holes 1-4 for the ‘I’ chord, draw holes 1-4 for the ‘IV’ chord, and holes 5-6 for the ‘V’ chord. Is this true?

I feel as though this is all simple stuff but I am making it to complicated.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Dk360

To save us all a lot of time and effort, it would be a good idea for you to read this Wikipedia entry explaining some things about the “Blues”. In particular, read at least this section about some of the forms commonly used. I would then suggest reading this entry about the structures frequently used for 12-bar blues and also this entry about 8-bar blues structures.

There are also Wikipedia entries about 16-bar and 32-bar blues, but those can wait until you have internalized and processed the ones I have linked above for you to get a solid foundation.

“Yes” and “No”, but mostly “No”. What you have read is perhaps good to get started, but it is too simplified to rely on for sounding really good. It is a very restrictive set of rules that beginners can use to initially get started with improvising on the blues harp.

This is all “simple” when you understand more of the basics (not only the basics of the blues, but also some basics of music theory), and you are not making it too complicated! Indeed, if anything, you are making it too simple!!

Enjoy your journey into the world of the blues.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Dk360 This should help! For chords, you’ve got it reverse. Would be DRAW 1-4 for the I chord, and BLOW 1-4 for the IV chord. Yes.

We don’t have a chord for the V chord. -1 and/or -4 for the root of the V chord. This is where splits come in handy:

You can play a million different riffs over any given chord. Try playing the same riff over different chords and pay attention to how a different harmonic context changes the vibe of a riff. You might love a riff over the IV chord, but not love it so much over the I chord. While this may be able to be explained with theory, at the end of the day this is ART, NOT science, so best thing is to play with this stuff and see what tickles your fancy. :wink:

Hope that helps! Rock on! :sunglasses:

2 Likes