Cleaning

Hi
Does anyone know of it is ok to flow water through both the crossover and the special 20 once in awhile for cleaning or if a hole is blocked
Thanks
Evan

3 Likes

Hi Evan @Evan.meiskin

As already reported in this forum, it is not a problem with harps that have plastic or metal combs.

However, harps (such as your crossover) that have wood or other organic material combs should not be soaked because the comb can absorb water (even through microscopic cracks in the sealant) that can swell and even damage the comb.

My personal preference for such harps is too remove the reed plates from the comb and wash/soak in warm water with a drop or two of dishwashing soap. Then rinse well with pure warm water.

I have also posted here about the advantages of using cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaners to really remove junk from hard to reach places without any risk to the reeds.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thank you Slim

3 Likes

Thanks @Slim

2 Likes

You both @betterapproach.team and @Evan.meiskin are welcome !

Best regards,

2 Likes

Thanks - anyone experience using Polydent denture tablets?
Robert

1 Like

Hello @robertchartrand2104,
I use these denture cleaning tabs to clean my hot air fryer, thermos flask or whatever.
For my harps, I sometimes prefer my ultrasonic cleaner for the models with a plastic body.

The tabs contain bleach, among other things. The ingredients do not harm a denture. But a harp is made of different materials. Whether the harps tolerate regular cleaning with denture cleaner is very questionable.

I think, if necessary, it is better to rinse under lukewarm running water, gently tap and let dry overnight.

2 Likes

Astrid - thanks that was very informative. Like you, I also use an ultrasonic cleaner when l want to do a thorough job. However it does require disassembling the harmonica.
The denture tabs do an easy job and apart from eliminating bacteria seem to dislodge some junk.

Cheers and beers,

Robert

2 Likes

Hi Robert @robertchartrand2104

As long as your harp has a plastic or metal comb you can also clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner without disassembling it. Using warm water and several drops of dish washing soap does an excellent cleaning, at least in my ultrasonic bath.

When done I just rinse it under running warm water and then let it dry.

Regards,

2 Likes

So do I, @Slim, @robertchartrand2104.
I only open the harps when I correct the reeds, very rarely.

Regards, Astrid

2 Likes

Can the crossover be put in water

1 Like

Hi Evan @Evan.meiskin

Did you not understand this reply at the beginning of this thread?

2 Likes

Hi @Evan.meiskin , in spite of the valuable advice above, I’ve wondered if rinsing the crossover would be okay since the comb is made out of bamboo laminate which has different characteristics than wood. I know it isn’t water proof, but quite water resistant when sealed. Hohner even touts it as being “completely water resistant.” To me, I guess it would depend to what degree. Certainly not plastic, but also not pear wood. Would an occasional quick rinse and thorough dry would be just fine? “Rinse” may be the key word.

One caveat, I do own a Crossover but I don’t have long-term experience with it as I’m a beginner on this journey.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

I think, if necessary, it is better to rinse under lukewarm running water, gently tap and let dry overnight.

@Evan.meiskin, that was my answer a few comments earlier on this topic :wink:.

3 Likes

Yeh I was just curious because a video I saw said the crossover is fully sealed and waterproof but I wanted to double check because I know Slim said not to. I’ll go with what Slim said. I’m sure he’s right

5 Likes

Sorry, your right. just learning and a lot of info and I forgot

2 Likes

Thanks again. I’m addicted to this. Great course

2 Likes

Hi Evan @Evan.meiskin

I am honored by your comment – although I too make mistakes. But I just prefer that you not take any unnecessary chance with your Hohner Crossover because these harps are not cheap. Any slight imperfection in the sealing of the bamboo comb could still result in swelling and/or warping of the comb because of water leaking in through an imperfect seal despite the precautions that the factory makes. I purchased a Crossover that came with a defective comb right out of the box!

A quick rinse with warm water is probably fairly safe – just do not let the comb sit in a water bath because the longer it is in water the greater is the chance that water could get in through any such imperfectly sealed areas and cause damage to the comb. My philosophy when cleaning is “better safe than sorry.” Unless, of course, you find the price of the harp to be insignificant – in which case, you might not even want to clean it, but rather just buy another new one … :dizzy_face:

Regards,

3 Likes

@burpsan and @Evan.meiskin not only is the Crossover comb made out of bamboo, the most water resistant wood in the world to my knowledge, it’s also triple lacquered (whereas the marine bands are only double lacquered.)

So I would not worry about the effect of water on the crossover. Having said that, I do not soak harmonicas. If rinsing them under vigorous tap water that is as hot as your hands can handle in both directions several times does not solve your situation, then it’s probably gonna require you to open up the harp and check out what’s going on.

That’s my two cents!

6 Likes