Custom Microphone

I did get the $435 which was close to what I had into it. And it was bought by someone who wasn’t a player - getting “the right mic” before learning to play or investing in harps. It’s probably collecting dust on a shelf.

I don’t know if I’d jump on the 1950 element just because it’s a 1950. I try a lot of elements before choosing one. If I was wanted an element, I’d try to buy locally, check for sources recommended by local harp players, or buy from a non-local, known source who values his reputation and referrals (like Greg Heumann where you can discuss what you want and he can advise what he has that might fit. He can also fix you up with an appropriate gasket). I tried a lot of elements and it wasn’t the year that was the deciding factor nor did that provide any uniformity of sound. Seventy years later elements often display very individual and unique characteristics; not all good.

Also, the sound YOU want is unique to your ear. I’d be glad to discuss this offline if you like.

2 Likes

I get most of my info on CR’s and CM’s from Greg. I was under the impression that they were all pretty similar the first few years. Fortunately, all of mine seem to have aged well except one from 1973 which is in my Astatic 200 (not chopped), a little tame sounding. I know the first CM’s (1958-1961) are especially hot. I see an Electro-Voice 605 in your picture of your harp case, can’t make out the other one, JT-30?

2 Likes

That is a JT-30. It was the workhorse for my first 40 years playing. New, it came with a spare crystal element. The 200 fits my hands better. The EV has a nice retro look - just there for a couple of Junior Wells numbers. Like the Shure 585V that Cotton gave me, it’s great but is usually stored away.

Whatever quality control or tonal similarities existed with new elements 50-75 years ago probably changed depending on use, care, storage, and geographic/climate conditions. So, 3/4 of a century later, I want to hear an element before buying. I have been fortunate to work with a local guy, Mark Overman, and have been able to try out/compare elements before picking one. And again it’s YOUR ear - some guys like hot elements, some want more growl and bottom.

3 Likes

That’s why I have many microphones, while I have preferences I like a big variety. About the only elements I still need are the Heumann element and a R7, the latter I’ll probably never see.

2 Likes

The definitive, almost everything you wanted to know about mics Jim Lil microphone myth buster