Did you know....?

I just discovered something interesting about the harmonica…

Does anybody know what is tongue blocking technique is?

I know it is one of the techniques to get single notes but difficult to pull off since when we play the harmonica we need to move our tongues and jaws.

But did you know that you could also produce an accordion effect when you use this technique.

For example…

Blow 1,2,3,4 normally…

Then block holes 2,3… so you’ll only be blowing through holes 1 and 4 which sounds like an accordion.

I have tried OH Susanna with it and it sounds like I’m playing an Accordion.

Yes Jimmy!

Glad you found it out too…

JP devotes some great lessons to octave playing and tongue sliding on his world’s best selling most favorite home harmonica course boxed DVD set!! :slight_smile:

Now you can also play Camptown Races and make it sound like a carnival monkey grinder pipe organ!! The tremolo effects on a diatonic! Cool beans, eh?! :smiley:

Rock on , yo! :wink:

“Have Harp, Will Travel!” 8)

Dude? Cool beans? I thought my wife and daughter were the only people who still say cool beans.

Jim,
What you are PLAYING is an octave, 1-4 are the same note, say C on a C diatonic harmonica. What you are HEARING (the accordian) is the octave “bleating” which indicates to me that your harmonica is somewhat out of tune. If you are playing a Special 20: Compromised Tuning, you are out of tune as the root notes (1, 4, 7, and 10 blow) are tuned at 0 cents on a chromatic tuner. If you tongue block any two holes on the blow say 3-4 on a c harp it too will give you an octave, E on a C harp, and so on. A lee Oscar or similarily tuned harmonica (Equal Temperment) should not bleat on either the blow or draw as all the notes are tuned to 0 cents. The “Tremelo” harmonica is designed with 2 reeds in each hole chamber, one reed (the short one) is tuned a half step higher to give that bleating tremelo effect. A compromise tuned Special20 has the 3rds and 7ths at -8 cents flat to “compromise” for better sounding chords, although many players beginner and intermediate alike cannot hear the difference between a equal tempered harp and a compromised “just intonated” harp. I too liked the accordian sound of a tongue blocked octave, you can also play tongue blocked draw octaves on holes 1 and 4, holes 3 and 7, holes 4 and 8, holes 5 and 9, and holes 6 and 10. For more on Equal Terperment, and Just Intonation visit www.patmissin.com.
Chromeaddict

Dude? Cool beans? I thought my wife and daughter were the only people who still say cool beans.

Right on, McMan! :slight_smile:

As I always say: Great minds think like me!! :wink:

“Have Harp, Will Travel!” 8)