Different Tuning Harmonicas

A few weeks ago, I was gifted a Golden Bird harmonica from my teacher, Todd Parrott. What made it really special was that it featured his signature tuning, which had the 7 draw tuned a half step down. It was my first experience with an alternate tuned harmonica. I find it really useful if you want to play the minor pentatonic scale without having to need the 6 overblow on a standard richter tuned harp. You can still make these overblow and overdraw to make the missing notes like in this video right here.

Now after receiving and liking the harp, I gained a special interest in alternate tunings. In fact, I made a playlist on Youtube describing some tunings for those who want to find out more about them. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5jw_-dq76aZAcm7QP4pjUwoMiMfPKQGQ

4 Likes

@KeroroRinChou , I think in some ways, depending on your goals, being a raw beginner is an advantage when exploring alternate tunings.
I imagine it would be harder to appreciate them once you’re used to standard tuning. I’d certainly have a lot of trouble if 2 or more guitar strings were tuned flatter or sharper than usual.
It’s something that interests me a lot.
With the crowd I’ve always hung around with, me trying to become a traditional blues harp player would be redundant.
I need the techniques, but I have different goals, and want to find the tunings that let me play more instinctively.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been playing guitar for even longer than harmonica, and at this point, after decades, I’m comfortable playing in Drop D, Open G tuning DGDGBD, open Gm tuning DGDGBbD, open E tuning EBEG#BE, open C tuning CGCGCE… It didn’t.happen overnight.

Similarly, on the harmonica I’m comfy with Melody Maker, Natural Minor, Harmonica Minor, and I’m starting to get comfy with Wilde Rock Tuning.

I want to tune one of my harps to contry tuning which is only -5 sharp, so that you can play major scale in 2nd position - but whereas the the Lee Oskar Melody Maker you play 3 for the major 2nd interval, I rather enjoy the expressiveness of the -3". So wanting to explore this for songs like Over the Rainbow and Georgia on My Mind.

Other than that, @KeroroRinChou I also want to tune one of my harps to Parrot tuning! Really looking forward to checking that out.

3 Likes

I’m not necessarily a beginner, I’m basically pro-experimental. Even though I play a bit like Terry McMillan, I like to experiment with my harps and see what kind of sounds they over like with different tunings and such.