Ear Training

Your Sax teacher has what is referred to as Perfect Pitch. Very rare.
My older sister had a even rarer talent called Absolute Pitch. If you asked her to sing or hum a note she could do it with 100% accuracy. She could tune a guitar by ear. She could listen to several bars of a record and write them out with ease. I try to sound out the notes from a record and have to listen to them over and over and over. Tabbing a song for a harp from a recording takes me HOURS, then I listen to it over and over correcting error after error!

2 Likes

Wow, i wish I was like her, It’s amazing how some people are so talented ,keep up your own efforts too. and i will keep on ‘struggling, ha’

3 Likes

I’m with you @Poppo, everything has been a slow grind for me!

2 Likes

I admire your patience Poppo! That’s a skill in itself :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you Thank you Thank you. You tell us in beginning lessons to try and figure out the notes to play(4, 6 -6, 6, -5) etc. I didn’t have a clue, I can tell intervals , and rhythm , but that was about it. Now I have another goal to learn how to “hear” the music!

3 Likes

I know what you are saying…I tabbed a tune I fell in love with watching a movie. Other than sitting down and writing out the musical score, which I have only done a few times, mostly over 60 years ago, I don’t know what to tell someone other than slow or fast, 3/4 or 4/4 time…

2 Likes

Sometimes it was a pain. I would be in the back ‘bedroom’ practicing the accordion. I would play a couple measures, then hear my sister holler from the front room "that is an e FLAT’! when she was 5 our folks bought her a piano, as she was doing so well. They delivered the piano, had it tuned and M came home from school, squealed and ran to the piano. She played 2 notes and declared “I can’t play this, it is out of tune”. My folks got mad and told her to play the piano, she started crying and said ‘it hurts’. They called her teacher who said “If M says it is out of tune, it is out of tune and she cannot rationalize that the note she plays is not the right note”. They called the tuner, and he said, he tuned the piano 1/2 note low because he was afraid of breaking the wires because the piano was so old. Folks had to send the piano back and get another one…

3 Likes

What a great gift she has and a great musical future, I wish her much luck.

3 Likes

She played for Myron Floren’s wedding, played a spontaneous duet with him when he did a concert in Denver, She graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in Concert Accordion. She was Guest Soloist with the Denver Symphony Orchestra. She did 6 USO overseas shows with Buddy Rogers and over 250 local USO shows at Lowry AFB and Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. She was as comfortable with western music as she was with classical or popular. Charles Magnate called her the best female Accordionist he ever heard. She played on the “Saturday Nite Barn Dance” on Channel 9 for approximately 5 years. She raised 4 wonderful boys. She died in January, 2000. We miss her great talent.

3 Likes