Easttop T008k remarks

…it arrived today after just 14 days . Amazing how they can sell and ship it to the US for $19.79. It was packaged nicely and quite presentable , and it really plays fine for what it cost.
As a novice I did my due diligence on harmonicas and I did note that most of the reviews on Youtube are basically positive and the many good players reviewing it pretty much describe this harp in detail so all Im going to do is offer my own thoughts and opinion on it. Im somewhat a beginner at 78 yrs and not with good wind as in my younger days but enough to play the harp with . Currently have a Hohner Big River , key of C in the car and 4 Hohner Special 20s (other keys) at home . I wanted one in the Bb key and ordered the Easttop (out of curiosity) and in part to my being frugal. OK, I find the Easttop uses less air and is easier to play and bend notes than the Big River , as expected since the Big River cant be the best beginner harp either. I do think the Big River sounds richer though and is definitely louder.
However, when compared with any of my Special 20s I have to ask myself why I just didnt spring for the additional $18 and stick with what has been proven to play better.
Not that the Easttop was bad ,or out of tune , but it bothers me why anyone would recommend any of the cheap beginner harps for someone starting out . Its rather important that a beginner should be learning on a better quality harp that is easiest to play, uses less air , and sounds excellent. The cost of a Special 20 at approx $38 US certainly cannot be considered a financial roadblock to anyone wanting to learn the harmonica. My curiosity is no more, as I intend to stick with the Special 20s.

1 Like

Being that I have been playing and repairing accordions for years , I decided to remove the cover screws and take a peek at the reeds. The 123 reeds mainly were kinda gapped wider than usual when compared with other harps Ive seen so I regapped them and some very minor adjustments to a few others as well and it really made an obvious difference. Surprisingly the harp now plays much easier and sounds closer to the Special 20s. Really, not a significant difference now . Tuning and gapping might be more time consuming and costly than any other procedure in the manufacturing process so it`s understandable why some might not be up to par right out of the box.

I have several Special 20s as well and they are one of my top favorites. Also really like Rockets but they tend to be spendy. So glad to hear at 78 you are learning and playing. Not that someone over 75 couldn’t do it - they just usually don’t. You have given me inspiration. I’m 68 and have been playing/learning for over 5 years now and wondered how long I’ll keep at it. You have shown me that it should be for quite some time in the future - thanks!

I’ve been recommended this harp to the moon and back when I was first starting out. It was during a time where my parents just divorced and we didn’t have much money. I never wanted an Easttop because of how extremely cheap it was and I was afraid that I’d get a faulty one. With Kongsheng, it’s a different story. I really love my Kongsheng Bluebird because not only was it affordable, but it played with my style very well.

Yes, we all have our budget to consider. Ive read some good remarks about the Kongsheng harp. Nice to hear you are loving it too. I should have only suggested that a better harmonica might also serve to keep the learning interest alive longer , and all the while having increased the enjoyment . Ive always seen the harmonica as a highly interesting instrument to folks of all ages but I rarely ever knew anyone who stuck with it and got to be good playing it. Most folks evidently stuck it in a drawer and there it stood. Too bad.