golden melodie

Hi everyone!! I use a special 20 and I’m a beginner but I seen the gms and likes the way the sides are! Is there much difference in the two harps?

Size; shape; compromised tuning (spec20) versus equal temperament tuning (gm)…

I have sets of both 20s and GMs…

Albeit prices are about the same for either, whether I or anyone else likes them over something else, well, until you get one or more and try them yourself, you’ll never know for sure!

Good luck!

“Have Harp, Will Travel!”

Hello there.

I have a few special 20’s and a Golden Melody in the key of C which is my main practice instrument.

I have done some research behind the Golden Melody and it is claimed to have longer reeds than most harmonicas, which some say is great for overblows.

I love how the Golden Melody looks. But it feels a tiny bit less responsive than a Sp 20, perhaps to the longer reeds as claimed. Or maybe it’s due to the fact that I was a bit heavy breathed on learning my first bends on it >_>…

But as what Street Player Dude said, “you’ll never know for sure”. I for myself am in question if I should buy more GM’s or SP20’s or try out Suzuki’s or Tombo harmonicas other than Lee Oskars!

You cannot go wrong with a Golden Melody. I’d say go for it if you want to give it a whirl, I myself am looking at the suzuki bluesmaster once I save up some spare change.

BIIG EDIT
I also forgot to mention that the brass reedplates kinda stick out and you will be touching the brass as you play it. It seems to absorb your saliva and kinda likes to stick to your mouth, making sliding from hole to hole a bit funny at first.
That and of course, the taste of brass takes a bit of getting used to.

If you’re going for a different kind of LO other than majors, this one still tops the list:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/how-to-play/how-acquiring-this-makes-anybody-sound-good-maybe-even-better!/

“Have Harp, Will Travel!”

My first harmonica was a mid-'70’s Golden Melody and they are very nice. My “go to” though is a Lee Oakar, mostly because I love tuning other then major and they have Harmonic and Natural minor and also the Melody Maker tunings(still don’t have one of those yet) so L.O. is my favorite because it’s a good quality instrument that has a reasonable price and it comes in a boat load of tunings. JMHO, YMMV.