Great Harp Moments!!

How about your greatest harp moments,

Well mine was today, Was out shopping with my wife and son, and went to a different town than we usually go to.

It was an indoor mall, but it was a small indoor mall very small. Went inside the door and down a hall and there was
maybe tops 15 or 20 stores. All specialty stores and all very small stores.

Wife and my 10 year old went into this dance wear store. Ya my son’s a dancer but he loves it and he’s really good at it.

Anyways not my type of store so I kept walking down the hall just a little way to the end. Half the stores were closed
and half were open. Past a coffee shop there were stairs up so I went up and up top it was just a big huge unfinished room,
with huge ceiling, they were getting ready to build a few more small specialty stores up there I’m sure.

But you guessed it the acoustics were incredible:D So I pulled out my Bb golden melody and started. I thought for sure
some cop would come by and kick me out because it was obvious I wasn’t suppose to be there. So I played about 15 minutes
confidence building more and more. And I was getting louder and louder you did not need an amplifier in that room. Awesome ;D

Finished went back down stairs and into the store down the hallway where wife and kid was and she looked at me and said I
heard you ::slight_smile:

So I am pretty sure everyone in that mini mini mall got a taste of my harp playing. Big boost for my condidence.

[b]HOW ABOUT YOUR GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT :-[/b]

Harp On!!

Great Story JF! :wink:

But um it’s raining here…and um no, no Rapture or Armageddon to speak of…yet! ::slight_smile:

As far as great accomplishment and moments go for me - Well got something brewing in the works now; just have to wait and see. :-X

Happy Trails, Yo!

Keep on Harpin!

Great story man! I work in a garage with stone walls, and when all the cars are out for the weekend the room is big and open! I often go down there to rip some harp. It beats any old amplifier by a thousand!

My greatest harp moment must have been yesterday. I was jamming with my guitar buddy, and we haven’t really gotten in the mood yet. We’ve played 5-6 times, maybe. Had some problems adjusting and finding out how to cooperate (the first session we just sat and played each our own solo over the same jam track, must have been awful to listen to!). Anyway, yesterday there was something that clicked. He started playing a chord progression, and through the first round I noodled around while I got used to it, and when the second round came I thought that Sweet Home Chicago might sound good to this, and it did! From there the riffs were pouring out, everything went smooth and nice! And at one point the guy who played the guitar stopped playing and said: Hey, can we put on some jam tracks? I’ve got to play some of those riffs you are ripping!

It was just all togetter a great session, hopefuly it will continue this way :slight_smile:

It makes you wish someone was video taping. Sometimes them best moments never get recorded.
Oh well you’ll never forget and that’s the most important thing.

Excellent story…

Harp on!!

What? And end up on Youtube?!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Aint gonna happen to me in my lifetime! :-*

Worst Harmonica Playing Ever

Nose harmonica player

On a bushwalking trip in our outback ca 1000ks from where I live is a National Park with a Gorge called Carnarvon Gorge. Ca 20ks round trip on foot and climbing is a place they call the Amphitheatre. To get to it we climb up a ladder on the cliff face and enter into a tunnel ca half way up. The tunnel is actually a creek that flows during the wet season and cascades down through the cliff face. Following through the tunnel it eventually opens up to a huge cavernous space ca 50m X 50m. Completely enclosed except for the entrance in and a narrow opening to the sky. The place is one big moss & fern garden but the accoustics are something else. Anyone can sing & sound like Pavarotti. I played my harp there recently and I think I sounded superb! Every one else who was there said so! Forget about all your fancy amps, reverbs, echos, volume controls this amphitheatre does it all for you.Can’t wait to revisit.

Another quite unique location where I have played is in a disused munitions bunker. The Bunkers were used during the war to store munitions & the location is alongside a disused rail siding. They are underground & dome shaped ca 25 x 25m - great accoustics.

The location is now a popular RV Caravan & Motorhome Park ca 500ks from our city. Many of the Bunkers have been converted into accom units, canteen, TV Room etc. There are a number disused ie empty void which provides ideal accoustics for harp playing.

This is old ca nearly 3 years. It was my first time playing in public & they happened to video me. I was extremely nervous.

]

OOPS -for some reason I am unable to get the embed code to convert to video on the thread. I normally just copy & paste the embed code and it opens. Am I doing something incorrect?

IDK Dave…

This happened on a few links, yet Chris fixed them but didn’t tell me how! :stuck_out_tongue:

I went into it, and wrapping url] /url] around it only made it worse! :-[

It shows the clip, but is this on youtube itself? Usually just cutting from the browser & pasting inside here works.

Try that. And/or we’ll see what else can do to get to it!

Thanks.

OH PS:

Forget about all your fancy amps, reverbs, echos, volume controls this amphitheatre does it all for you.

Great if you could pack it up and take it with you, eh?! :smiley:

Keep on harpin’!

Well, it worked for me. I just clicked on one of the red links and watched it.
David you have far, crasshopper! Sounded great! Could tell you were nervous. But, the more you play, the easier it becomes!!! Bravo friend! ;D

Tyson what does ‘crasshopper’ mean? Not an Aussie saying. Maybe I shouldn’t ask?

I wonder why it didn’t open for you david oh well click on either link and watch a great perfromance by Mr David T.
from down under.

Don’t know what crass hopper is either dave must be a texas saying… :wink:

you have far, crasshopper!

Well, them thar out of the country folk got their G.W. Bushs and Dan Rathers too now, dontcha know?! :o

Yeppers, them thar out of the counrty folk, just gotta love em too! :-*

Ciao fellow harpsters and harpsterettes! :slight_smile:

WHILE ATTENDING THE DISABLED VETERANS WINTER SPORTS CLINIC IN SNOWMASS, CO. I PLAYED TAPS AT THE MARINE CORPS REUNION DURING OUR MEMORIAL SERVICE.

I DON’T KNOW WHY I PUT MYSELF INTO SUCH STRESSFUL SITUATIONS, I GUESS IT’S MY NATURE.

WAS I NERVOUS, YES. WAS MY MOUTH DRY, YOU BET AND THE ALTITUDE WAS OVER 8,000 FT SO NO OXYGEN.

THIS WAS A GREAT HARP MOMENT FOR ME

SEMPER FI

jjd

Gotta lighten up on yourself there, Gunny! <<<don’t know your rank, but you look like a Gunnary Sergeant!>>>

Outstanding job! :slight_smile:

Maybe hopefully be an inspiration to our young Ace [classified] who just learned to play TAPS himself! :wink:

Reply #18

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/i-have-a-few-questions/msg1628/#msg1628

Carry on! Semper Fi! Keep On Harpin’! :smiley:

Grasshopper…
From TV show KungFu
You have come far Grasshopper!

You have grown alot since that first post, Grasshopper is young one.
First you crall, then you walk, then run and fall down. But always …get back up!

David you have far, crasshopper
:o

Thats funny you must have been falling asleep at the keyboard :-\

I’ve been there and also done that… ;D

I thought it was that but you spelt it crasshopper…

Harp on!!

[font=Verdana]Hey JJD nice version of taps there buddy,[/font]
That was well done. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Harp on!!

you spelt it [i]crasshopper[/i]

Yeah good thing nobody corrects for Englitches around here or we’d all be in trouble! :stuck_out_tongue:

Must be an awfully lonely place too over in the Spell Check booth, I’d imagine! :-[

Mwuahahahahaha!

Always makes for good conversation though! hehehehe!!!

SPD On The Job!

Keep on a doing what you’re doing! Carry on, yo! :smiley:

OH PS: Just in case anybody says anything {like lil ole me maybe! hahahaha!} about the word: spelt!

I actually looked it up here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Don’t worry JF, I got your back! ;D