Harmonica cleaning with a wooden comb

Vinegar, good idea neutralizes the acids in spit. Do you use regular white vinegar or cleaning vinegar in your mix. I want to try it, I have both plus apple cider, but I don’t think that one would be sensible, lol.

Hi @GreenStamps

But vinegar is itself an acidacetic acid to be exact – that usually can be found in 5-8% (by volume) concentrations. If you still find the idea worth pursuing, take care that the vinegar selected contains no sugars. Your best bet would be to not use culinary vinegar.

Vinegar’s use as a cleaning agent derives from its acidic nature: acids “attack” and aid in the removal of deposits (such as dry sputum) – but it will not neutralize another acid. The best that would occur is if the other acid is stronger than the vinegar and the volume of the vinegar is much greater than the other acid, then the dilution effect would reduce the pH of the other acid. :point_left:

If you wish to neutralize an acid then you would either simply use lots of water or use a mild base.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes it is acidic, a 3, but usually store is reduced to 4% and if I remember right, cleaning vinegar is 8%. But dry spit is 100% troublesome and stubborn when dried. I also put a light counting of beeswax and lemon oil mix on the comb.

I forgot, my cleaning ritual, is shake out, tap, then sit on a cloth to draw moisture. Every week or so depending on usage I will use running tap water, warm in the kitchen sink and set them in front of a fan, wood or resin. Then when dry check the reeds and use canned air if needed. Once a year or so, especially if acting up I take them apart and inspect the comb and reeds, Q tip the reeds and some polish as I stated on the comb lemon oil/beeswax. Usually a smashed end of a tooth pick makes a small enough brush, and strong enough to polish. You have to be careful with the prongs, like loose teeth and usually wood grain runs horizontal, always support them. Gunk gets in the tunnels too.

You can also lightly sand the innards with 220 grit wrapped around a jeweler’s file.

I just just use a light splash of white vinager to a small jar thats just a bit bigger than a harp. Warm water and a light shake. Works great. My harps are aging and sound great

1 Like