Harmonicas!!!!

I have been looking all over the internet and I’m at a cross road between two harmonicas. One the Hohner Special 20 at 37.99 and a Suzuki Harpmaster. Which one would you all recommend for a beginner that is looking for a better one than what I have. I have a Bluesband harmonica! I’m looking to learn how to been as well and need a harmonica to do it on. I can play a couple of songs but still have to look at the tab for it until I can play a song without looking.

The Special 20 is a good harmonica right out of the box. However, at that price, I would continue to shop. I don’t buy harps from any one place in particular, but I won’t spend more than $30 on one. It’s not because I’m cheap; I just know that I have never bought a harp that I didn’t want to customize or adjust in some way to fit my playing style, which means I’m going to have to put quite a bit of time as well into each harp. FWIW, I play a mixture of Special 20’s, Hohner Blues Harps, and Lee Oskars, and have never paid more than $30 for any of them. In fact, since I customize all my harps and have a sonic cleanser and disinfecter, I even buy used harps at yard sales/auctions/antique stores. Most are in full working order, gently used, and can be had for just a few dollars. Just give them a good cleaning and you’re good to go. Something to keep in mind.

And about the Suzukis, they make some wonderful harmonicas. Personally I think their quality control and tolerances from the factory are among the best. However, I can never find them at a decent price, and for my personal musical tastes, I don’t think they are as tonally mellow as what I prefer.

All said, you’ll be happy with either harp, especially considering you’ve been playing a Cracker Barrel special. You’ll notice a world of difference.

Check out the Hohner Big River Harp…I see no advantage to the Special 20 over this one, and you can almost buy two BRHs for what a Special 20 costs. I carry 5 BRHs to every gig, 3-5 gigs a week, year 'round, and have used the same 5 for several years, while the Special 20s I’ve owned I’ve worn out in (usually) about 6 months.

Know nothing about the Suzuki Harpmaster, but it’s probably a good one, as well.

Yeah the music store here where I live doesn’t even carry the Special 20. You have to order it. I’ll have to look into the big river harp thanks.

Special 20 is a good option, but I personally would go for a Seydel Session since it is easier to play. But that’s my opinion :slight_smile:

I ve been playing golden melody harmonica key c
But wanted key A blueband harmonica can’t hardly get it here in Zimbabwe
Please help