HELLO

I just wanted to say hello from Albany, New York. My name is Barry, I’m 71 years old and have been playing the harmonica for a little less than one year. I had always wanted to play the harmonica but could never get the hang of it until I came across JP’s web site and I purchased the whole nine yards of his instructional CD’s and DVD’s. Since then I have played everyday. I also play and make Native American style flutes. JP, I’d like to thankyou for getting me started as well as inviting me into this forum.

Barry

Howdy Barry! (almost has a musical sound to it there!)

Welcome, fellow harpster!

I’m over here in Northeastern PA, so just down the road from you a piece!

Just like you I got into JP’s courses, CDs, DVDs, the whole she-bang too! (And honestly, between you and me, one of the best investments in myself I ever made!)

Now in one of the earliest lessons, he recommends just placing your harps around the house here and there, you never know when you’ll want to pick one up and play it.

I thought: ‘Well, I’m here by myself except when girlfriend comes by for a visit, so sure, why not?’

So it was, and so it went!

Then I started taking a few of the harps out with me to rehab. Yeah, had to go through physical and occupational therapies because of the truck rollover. No condolences, we’re managing along just fine – my arm and me that is! Anywho…

One blustery winter day, downtown doing some shopping; just strolling along playing whatever tunes popped into my head; while waiting for a cab outside a pizza joint to take me back home, I lit up a smoke.

A guy walks up and says: “Hey, you’re the street player dude, ain’tcha?!”

Uh, I guess so.

“Hey, man, you got an extra cigarette I can get?”

Uh, well, been smoking cigarettes for years, and I still only get 20 in a pack; but, yeah, I suppose I can spare you one.

As he puffed and started along his way: “Hey, man, you keep playing your harmonica. It sounds really good from where I am!”

You’re just saying that because you got a cigarette from me.

He leaned back in and smiled: “No, man, seriously, it sounded really cool, really good. You got balls, you got chutzpah, you’re doing something out here I couldn’t do. I wouldn’t know where to begin, but you did. So yeah, you keep playing that thing, Street Player Dude, you’ll never know where it’ll take you! Ciao, babe!”

So it was, and so it went: One Street Player Dude was born! {You can call me “Street” for short. Has a nice ring to it, eh? ;)}

Yet Barry, sir, hope you stick around; hope we can all share, learn, and grow from one another on anything and everything harmonica here.

Keep on smiling!

Keep on harpin’!

Thanks for reading!

[quote=“Barry, post:1, topic:2161”]
I just wanted to say hello from Albany, New York. My name is Barry, I’m 71 years old and have been playing the harmonica for a little less than one year. I had always wanted to play the harmonica but could never get the hang of it until I came across JP’s web site and I purchased the whole nine yards of his instructional CD’s and DVD’s. Since then I have played everyday. I also play and make Native American style flutes. JP, I’d like to thankyou for getting me started as well as inviting me into this forum.

Barry
[/quote][color=yellow][color=purple][color=green][color=orange][/color][/color][/color][/color]

Um okay - Are you grampa or Barry or both? ???

Just wondering…

Hello Barry, sir! Welcome to the forum. I’m Ashish, and I’m writing from India…a long way from where you are. :slight_smile:

That’s one interesting story, Street! ;D Here’s my story in short -

I got into the whole harmonica business after listening to a recording of Sonny Terry playing “Lost John” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f1ILrmbOt8). I was a little 7 year old kid at that time…but I knew that Sonny Terry was doing something ridiculously amazing! A desire to play like Sonny Terry was born within me. :slight_smile: I knew nothing about harmonicas at that time. I didn’t know what type of harmonica Sonny Terry played. Heck, I didn’t even know there were so many types of harmonicas! I only had a chromatic harmonica at that time (which my dad used to play). I started playing that harmonica…and tried to do the stuff Sonny Terry was doing! Needless to say, I couldn’t…and it wasn’t long before I gave up. Several years later, when the Internet came into my life, I realized that Sonny Terry played diatonic harmonicas. I looked everywhere for diatonic harmonicas, but they were not available in India at that time…especially in the place where I was living. I finally got my first diatonic when I was 17! My uncle got it for me from Chicago. :slight_smile: I was hooked!

I soon came across JP’s harmonica lessons. His lessons and tips helped me overcome many difficult hurdles in my journey as a harmonica player. I consider myself very lucky that I got in contact with him. :slight_smile:

Well, my journey continues…and I’ve still got a long way to go as a harmonica player. But thanks for reading my little story!

Cheers,
Ashish

And a good story it is at that, Ashish!

I’m so glad you were influenced by Sonny Terry! FYI: You join the ranks of Tom Ball, who was born on Sonny Terry’s birthday (October 24); and who inspired Peter ‘Madcat’ Ruth to pick up and play too!

Not to mention being students of JP Allen as well! :wink:

Hey, are you thinking what I’m thinking! ::slight_smile:

That if this forum starts building up and taking off, maybe, just maybe Harmonica Santa will bring us a Chat Room!

I’m putting that on my wish list now!

See ya!