Help Identifying Harmonica!!

My grandmother gave me a harmonica a long time ago, and I’m just trying to use it now. I tried googling it, but I don’t have much to go off of.

It has Mississippi etched across the top, has 40 holes (20 on top, 20 on bottom). That’s about all I can tell ya, anyone have any tips? I figure if I know what I’m using, it’ll make it easier to learn.

It’s going to be a tremolo harmonica.

I also have a Tremolo Harmonica now, and I really have no idea how to play it! I saw something looking like you should play a block of four holes as one note, but I’m not sure if that is right.

Having a quick look on Youtube I found this video by a guy who is familiar with a 10 note diatonic harmonica, then checks out a 32 note Tremolo Harmonica. He says the principles are the same, and shows you how to play individual notes and demonstrates it a bit. Hope this helps you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyTySgi7inA#ws
Harmonica Lesson: 32 Hole Harmonica, What Now?

that video really help me for learning harmonica as beginner
thanks dude
i wish i can play my tremolo after trying this

You’re welcome! So glad I could help! :slight_smile:

I haven’t been back on these forums in ages, thanks for bringing me back!

Hello, Tremolo Harmonica Fans.

Bcl95:

Your Mississippi tremolo harmonica was made in China. It has 20 double holes, 40 reeds, each reed in a separate chamber.

Tremolo harps were invented by the Wilhelm Thie harmonica company of Vienna, Austria, circa 1879.

Tremolo harps have 2 horizontal reed plate sets, a top set and a bottom set. Both reed sets are of the same pitches (the same notes).

One horizontal row of reeds is then factory de-tuned slightly. When two vertically matched reeds are played together,
a wavy tone (tremolo) is produced automatically.

Here are the note charts for your 20-double hole tremolo harmonica. In the charts, large letters are exhale reeds and small letters are inhale reeds. The tremolo harps have the lowest pitched reed on the left, and the highest on the right side of the mouthpiece.

Most tremolo harps start either on “do” of the scale (C on a C scale tremolo), or “mi” of the scale (E on a C tremolo).
They are both C major scale harmonicas.

20 double hole harp, key of C, starting on “do”:

||C|d|E|g|G|b|C|d|E|f|G|a|C|b|E|d|G|f|C|a|| (This is the horizontal top row. The bottom row is the same)

Two horizontal holes on the “do” tremolo are played like one hole of a standard 10-hole diatonic, up to the tremolo’s
13th horizontal hole, where the reeds’ placements reverse.

20 double hole harp,key of C, starting on “mi”:

||E|g|G|b|C|d|E|f|G|a|C|b|E|d|G|f|C|a|E|b|| (This is the top row, the bottom reed plate is the same)

On the “mi” tremolo, it’s like starting on hole 2 of the standard 10-hole diatonic harp, up to the tremolo’s 11th horizontal hole, then the reed placement reverses.

On both models, the farther we go to the right side of the mouthpiece, the wider the intervals (distances between pitches).

Here’s a simple technique for playing all double reed per note harmonicas (tremolos, octave harps): Open your mouth wide, put the harp as far into the mouth as you can, leaving the left and right edges of the harmonica outside of the mouth, and play a mouthful of reeds. Keep the melody reed on the right side of your mouth, and the other reeds will fall into place.

Try this book, ordered from an internet harmonica seller or internet bookseller; or go to a music instrument store or sheet music store, and order the book there.

Tremolo & Octave Harmonica Method, by Phil Duncan, Mel Bay publishing company.

Best Regards

John Broecker