hi, new irish member on board!

hi there, just bought my first harmonica yesterday. it’s been a complete fail though, was lookin them up and read i need a harmonica in the key of a to play blues in e but i tried hittin out a few notes over some guitar in e and it just doesn’t sound right. any advice would be greatly appreciated. i like the style of lil walter and any old 12 bar blues with distorted harmonica in them! I’ve bin playin guitar for years and just wanna try somethin new.

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I know exactly what you are talking about, cuz being new and ignorant about harmonicas, I asked my daughter to get me a harmonica for my birthday and not knowing any better, I told her to get one in the key of E. Heck the band I play in plays a lot of songs in E, so that’s what I told her to get. And you are right, sounded like crap. Boy, was I wrong. What I needed was a harp in the key of A. This is commonly known as second position.

I learned very quickly that you need to use the available resources on-line, and this forum is a great resource, to figure out this little, although complex instrument. Check out this link and I think this will help a lot.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/

BTW, everyone on this forum has been where you are at. The people here are just awesome. Very compassionate, and truly understanding. I hope your first experience with harmonica will not be your last. This little instrument gets in your blood and goes straight to you heart.

good luck and keep on harpin

Flip

well i bought one in the key of a! it still just doesn’t sound good! too happy and it doesn’t sound like it’s in the right key. could i buy one in e minor so i’d know i’d have the right notes?
but no, it won’t be my last experience, i really wanna learn it!

Well Mr 88 -

Most everything written/scored for beginning harp is in the Key of C. Henceforth, obtaining a C harp is to your advantage here!

Even piano man/musician Howard Levy started with one to understand the basics and learn the fundamentals before venturing off into Harmonica Universe Super Stardom!

I have plenty of sets of harmonicas; and I don’t recall exactly where I read it but the person said: “You can never have enough Cs in your collection!”

I tend to agree with that. I do other things with my As, Bbs, etc. - But to continually work on strengthening my techniques in bending, high-register melodies, etc. - Always have to come back to my Cs to do so.

Hope this helps!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Have fun!

Keep on harpin’!

cheers, ya i think i’ll get one and a book to learn on

ya i think i'll get one and a book to learn on

blarney and migora, i can’t speak for ya! :-X

yet one can only hopes, eh?! :wink:

rock on, yo! :smiley:

I’m new and no expert, so some one else may need to elaborate or correct some of this, but if you want to play your A harmonica in E you have to use second position which emphasizes the draw notes on holes 1-4. Otherwise you are playing in the key of A.

Harp On!![quote=“gregmatic, post:7, topic:2449”]
I’m new and no expert, so some one else may need to elaborate or correct some of this, but if you want to play your A harmonica in E you have to use second position which emphasizes the draw notes on holes 1-4. Otherwise you are playing in the key of A.
[/quote]

Oh I hope So ;D ;D

I keep getting confused I have a chart somewhere ???

Hi John welcome to the forum good place for encouragement Give and Take.

I play lots of tunes and first time I tried recording myself and posted on another forum. Big goof I played “Blowin in the Wind”
with my C harp and I just picked a random backing track…Umm lets just say I learned fast that day. And I thought I sounded good.

Harp on!!

Big goof I played "Blowin in the Wind" with my C harp and I just picked a random backing track...

Almost as good if say Tyson, or better yet MikePipe invited/challenged us to play “Arkansas Traveler” and you just had to get some Bob Dylan in there somewhere, eh, JF?! :smiley:

Rock on, yo!! ;D