Hi! New with question...

Hi everyone. So…I have a musical background and play multiple instruments with some music theory knowledge. I picked up a 7 piece Hohner Bluesband" set to learn this fine instrument. Having fun playing already!
I just ran into a big problem though, and I hope I’m just missing something.
So I grab my guitar and tune it up with my electric tuner. Start playing in G and grab the G harmonica…and everything is sharp or flat! Tried a different tuner on my guitar…whatever key I play in I cannot match the notes with any of the harmonicas. Now, I could just tune my guitar to my harmonica…but I still can’t play at my local jam sessions when everyone one else is tuned correctly. I am doing something wrong? Are they defective?
Thanks in advance!!

Ok, so I just read the info on this site about harmonica tuning, etc. I still don’t get how the reasoning for different tuning makes it impossible for me to play with friends unless they all tune to the harmonica. Sorry if this is a stupid question/observation.

The key of G has only one sharp on F. If everything are flats and sharps than you have a lemon over there.

It turns out they are actually fine. The problem was that I was being a complete idiot. I’d rather not expound on that! LOL! Total brain fart.
Having fun with them! Been jamming to “Wagon Wheel.”

Glad to hear that! Do enjoy them!

Did you not callibrate your tuner?

All was as it should be. Ok, I’ll admit the truth out here in the open. I can take the hit!! They say music theory is like mathematics…well, that’s partly true. If you haven’t really used it in a long time, you tend to forget it. In reality, the music theory I took in college is basically GONE! LOL.
So I tune up my guitar, no capo, and start playing a basic G, C, D, Em progression.
Well…since the tune STARTS with a G chord, I should OBVIOUSLY use the G harmonica! Ok…you may all laugh loudly WITH me. The C harp is perfect, I capo up to A on the guitar and that harp is perfect too. The only thing really upsetting me is that I lose all control of the harmonica when I use the stupid neck holder so I can play guitar. THAT is FRUSTRATING. And there is no emoticon here for being embarrassed. I assume someone is on that?? HA! Just kidding.

That is the cool thing about playing 2nd position. All 3 of those chords can be played on just the “C” harp. the “G” chord is any draw hole 1,2,3,4. “C” chord is any blow hole 1,2,3,4. “D” chord is any draw 4,5,6.
I hope I told that right! I’m sure someone will correct me :D! between everyone here it will get straightened out! 8)

Hey PaulBunyn! I dont know what exactly you have in mind when you say chords but to my knowledge a chord consists of a minimum of 3 notes. Any less are intervals and notes. So given a C Harmonica we would have de following:
Blown:

1. C chord given any combination; basic position + 2 inversions;
    Drawn:
  2. 1,2,3 holes = G chord, second inversion;
  3. 2,3,4 holes = G chord, root position;
  4. 3,4,5 holes = Diminished triad rooted in B;
  5. 4,5,6 holes = D minor chord, root position;
  6. 5,6,7 holes = some 7th chord, not sure;
  7. 6,7,8 holes = Dsus (suspended), root position;
  8. 7,8,9 holes = Diminshed triad rooted in B;
  9. 8,9,10 holes = D minor chord, root position.

The only major D chord i see would consist of : hole 1 - D, hole 2 - half tone draw bend F# and hole 3 - full tone draw bend A. Does anyone do that?:smiley: