Hohner MS

Being totally clueless how the hohner MS system works I was wondering as I have this hohner cross harp key of C which I find to be the most uncomfortable harp I own to play but it makes a good sound. Now I also have this Hohner S20 which although it bends beautifully has these really sharp draw notes which I constantly need to nurse along to stop those offending notes piercing my brain along with my ears. So please you learned pro harp players I need to know is it possible to swap the reeds from the cross harp over into the S20 thus giving me an xtra harp to my arsenal becuse I seem to remember reading that the MS reeds are interchangable just wandered thats all thanks guys would be glad of some advice…peace …keep on harpin

is it possible to swap the reeds from the cross harp over into the S20 thus giving me an xtra harp to my arsenal

Um Sorry No! Wish we could! :-\

We discussed something akin to this before, but will review it again here to refresh, starting about Reply #6:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/cheap-but-effective-harmonicas/msg1029/#msg1029

The Modular System (MS) only works in two harmonica models -

The Big River with a plastic comb;

And Hohner Blues Harp with a wooden comb.

So since the reed plates are exactly the same, they’re exactly the same harps with different combs and covers, is all! :o

Nothing else Hohner has will work with anything else Hohner has.

Peeps still complain about not being able to swap out Spec 20 reed plates like you can with Lee Oskars. But they fall on deaf ears apparently! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope this helps!

SPD On The Job, PJD! Yo! Yo! Yo! ;D

OK SDP thanks for that at least I will not be wasting my time trying to do the impossible pity it seemed like a good idea but I remember you telling me a few days ago that the big river and blues harp were the same so that makes sense once again thanks SPD you do your job WELL good night from over here on the other side of the pond…peace bro keep harpin

Always happy to do what little I can to help out! [glow=red,2,300] 8)[/glow]

You however do ask great topical questions; do offer interesting comments & reviews; plus you do have a fantastic sense of humour which really allows everyone to know what it is to plain just have fun!

So on that fine note then:

Good night sweet prince and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

You did say you were from Denmark didn’t you, Horatio? Hamlet? Anybody?!

Mwuahahahahaha!!!

Catch ya’ll laters, PJD!!

So since the reed plates are exactly the same, they're exactly the same harps with different combs and covers, is all!

That being said, one of the worst harps I’ve played is the MS Pro Harp, and one of my favourite harps is the MS Blues Harp. It’s the blues harp I’m collecting to get in all 12 keys. It’s an amazing harp!

(I hereby nominate myself for the annual award for having used the word harp too many times in one context, there’s a lot of harps here!)

OK then sir you nominate I will second that motion and so we will consider it well and truly passed I must admit though that I also in my freshman status find that the Big River is a cracking harp for the money there I go money again but I do like good value. Peace happy harpin.

(I hereby nominate myself for the annual award for having used the word harp too many times in one context, there's a lot of harps here!)

Now that’s funny, but it’s better than spelling out harmonica that many times :smiley:

Harp on!!

I just love it when I wake up and have to correct myself or add further to something I might have understated. Keeps me on my toes as I eats my Humble Pie! :slight_smile:

Okay - Too many harps is right! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are the Hohner MS Harps in all their glory:

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-565-Cross-Harp-MS-Series-Harmonica?sku=584358

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-532-Blues-Harp-MS-Series-Harmonica?sku=584351

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-590-Big-River-MS-Series-Harmonica?sku=584362

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-562-Pro-Harp-MS-Series-Harmonica?sku=584357

In looking carefully at all these harps, they all use the same Modular System:

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-RP565-MS-Replacement-Reed-Plates?sku=421174

Meaning all these harps have the same exact reed plates as the one before it or after it.

Meaning once again, except for design, combs and indeed price - Internally and where it counts the most - These are virtually all the same Hohner harp. :o

My offering to these discussions then are: If you buy one MS Hohner in any style and then figure another MS Hohner style would be different and/or better and/or whatever - Well as George Gershwin might tell you: “It ain’t necessarily so!” 8)

Yet say for example, you purchased a Big River and for whatever reason didn’t like it; then decided to get a Blues or Pro harp and did like it.

Well, that’s the beauty of Hohner and their subtle manufacturing and marketing skills. However, do not go out and throw yourself under the bus just yet because you’re feeling ripped off. Why?

Well, if both harps you had were in the same key, and the one you like wears out and you don’t care to fix it, then simply grab the reed plates out of the other one and viola! you just saved yourself unnecessary harm, misery and tragedy and the world is a much better and brighter place because of it! :-*

So fellow harpsters and harpsterettes - My apologies for any confusions this may’ve caused all of us. Hopefully now though the record is set straight - and you’re better informed about your decisions on the harps you may have or the ones you hope to purchase in the future. :wink:

I feel so much better now. My coffee is waiting. Talk to you soon!

Smiles!

Keep on harpin’!

SPD Back On The Job!!

Here’s the part I can’t figure out. I even recently sent an email to Hohner to 'splain it to me, no reply. You buy a Big River MS, just using round numbers, for $20. Then you buy a Pro Harp MS, $35. Now tell me why, if they both have the same reeds, is there a $15 difference. Looks kinda like the same comb. Is it the black covers on the Pro Harp? When you buy replacement reeds, they are just one price fits all! Does not make sense!!! Hohner can’t even explain it. Does it mean a Big River is as good as a Pro Harp, or that a Pro Harp is only as good as a Big River? The main cost of a harp is the reed plates. So how are replacement reeds for all the MS series the SAME!!!

Kinda like a Chevy to a Cadillac to a Pontiac to a GMC. All kinda the same, but there not. Alot of interchangable parts that are the same, but have differant part numbers.

[quote
Good night sweet prince and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

Farewell, fair cruelty.

All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

Fortune brings in some boats that are not steered.

He is winding the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike.

Apologetically inclined though I may be. Help myself, I can not well do so. I am perplexed with the compulsion to spew forth this literary bilge and avoid the effect of good lesson. BB

I just can’t help myself guys. Somebody HELP ME!!!

BB

BUT of course there remains:

If music be the food of love, HARP ON!!! (Stole that last snippet, the “HARP ON” part, from “You Know Who”). I shant plagiarize.

BB

[quote author=thebugleboy link=topic=212.msg3682#msg3682 date=1289534156]

[i]Good night sweet prince and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest![/i][/u]

Farewell, fair cruelty.

All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

Fortune brings in some boats that are not steered.

He is winding the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike.

Apologetically inclined though I may be. Help myself, I can not well do so. I am perplexed with the compulsion to spew forth this literary bilge and avoid the effect of good lesson. BB

I just can’t help myself guys. Somebody HELP ME!!!

BB

Hey Bob, all the world is a stage, but the problem is most people miss rehearsal!

Barry

::slight_smile: :o :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: ;D :smiley:

There was a rehearsal? Damn It no one told me! I could have used the practice!

Hey Paul, don’t fret, you ain’t the only one who missed rehearsal, just look around you!

Barry

I think there’s a couple of things going on here. First off, Hohner actually makes more than one set of MS replacement reed plates. But Hohner USA apparently has decided to carry only the one replacement set. I believe there are 2 sets available in Europe.

And if you look at the actual Harmonica specs, the Big River, Blues Harp, and Pro Harp all come with .90 mm plates, but the Cross Harp and Meisterklasse come with 1.05 mm plates.

So I would gather that even though the replacement reeds are compatible, they may not be exactly the same reeds that come with your harp. They could even be better than what comes in the Big River (and I would hope so since they seem to be charging more for the plates than for a new harmonica).

The other thing is that while the sound comes from the Reeds, that’s not the only thing that matters. The sound on a guitar comes from the strings, but you can still put the same strings on a Fender and a Gibson and have a very different instrument. On the harmonicas, I guess the comb material doesn’t matter too much, but the overall design, and the cover plates especially for some reason, seem to have some impact.

As for those black cover plates, that black coating is something called Greblon, a ceramic used in non-stick cookware. I guess a Greblon pan probably costs more than a stainless steel one as well. I’m not sure how much benefit this is on a harmonica though, but I suppose it must be easy to clean!