how long

Hello every one I have been playing for eight months and in that time I have got
quite a collection of harps some good some not so good my main two harps now
as I like plastic combs are bushman Deltafrost and Suzuki Bluesmaster and out of
about 16 harps they are my favs which brings be to the point how long have you
been playing and whats your fave harp or harps, keep harpin

I’ve been playing about 2 1/2 years and totally addicted love it alot.

Favorite harp not necessarilly most expensive harp I own is Golden Melody.
Thanks go out to David Harp who suggested that one to me a couple years ago.

Harp on!!

Golden melody yes I got one about six weeks ago, yeh ur right stoncking harp bends and o/b,s great and it sits next to my bushman & suzuki. Addictive yes deffinately it seems like once you get started then your hooked and I could think of worse things to
be addicted to…harp on

I only have a bushman Delta frost and a special 20. I like the special 20 better. I have been playing for 7 months.

Lookee Here Everybody! P Jay Dee Seven Seven Seven is in Da House!

Everyone together put your hands up and say Whoop! Whoop!

:smiley:

Sorry Bro, got a little carried away… my caffeine and smokes be kicking in right about now!

Whoop! Whoop!

I say I’m a 20+ years struggling frustrated wanting to know harmonica player.

Since my truck rollover accident late last year, with my mom passing away earlier that year, and surviving through it all - I decided to follow my dreams once again. One is writing; the other harmonica playing.

Somehow they’ve managed to come together here! Whoop! Whoop!

Been at this seriously now less than 1 year. And since I have harmonica sets all over da house - Can’t say which my faves are! Am still waiting for my Turbo Harps to come in sometime this week! Yay!

Right now I do enjoy my Spec 20s, Big Rivers, and yes even my Golden Melodys!

And am hoping Harmonica Santa (be his name Edward or not - hehehe!) can still help me in obtaining a Harrison or two.

As well, I’m interested in going Chromo - Yo! Yo!

And Brendan Powers is on top of my list there! Yo! Yo! Yo!

So let’s give it up for P Jay Dee Seven Seven Seven!

That’s right! Uh-huh! Great question! Uh-huh!

Everyone together get your arms up and Say Hey! ‘Hey!’ Say Yo! ‘Yo!’ Say Whoop! Whoop! ‘Whoop! Whoop!’

:smiley:

Been playing a long time but only really fired up these past 4 years.

Have a big harp collection. In OOTB reliability the Suzuki products are by far my favourites. But with OOTB its often pot luck ie sometimes you get a beauty and others so so and others complete duds.

Have a Seydel 1847 Silver in D and a Manji in G which are Beta Harps from Ben Bouman & they are outstanding. I have a Crossover in Ab which is equally outstanding straight OOTB. But amongst my favourites for daily work outs are Harpmaster in A, Bluesmasters in C, D, & G.Special 20 in Bb. And purely for mucking about whilst enjoying a feed of crisps & beer I love my tweaked Suzuki Folkmaster in Ab. With the Folkmaster I figure its so cheap that I can afford to destroy a few…but I can’t kill it!

And I love my Lee Oskars in special tunings particularly the Harmonic Minors. Lee Oskar harps are very well made but I tend not to like their size much, same with Seydel, ie they are a bit big. But really nice harps.

Hi David since I started this thread I have bought a big river in B cheap and cheerful it is but I think it plays not half bad also since I started feb this year I have discovered that I favour the plastic comb do not know why really it just seems to slide nice and smooth so the harps that are always close to hand are blues master in G , delta frost C. and the big river, and the Lee Oscar which I first learned to bend on Ho! and I also have a Manji which I wont give up on but I think its a bit peculiar not that easy to play for me any way I find it difficult to play any thing soul full on it its like if I blow a little too hard and it just blasts out the note too darn loud I suppose its just me what I do like about it is every single note on it suck or blow is rock solid but as I say I think it is at the mo more harp than I am player. What I wanted to ask you is what is the folk master like to play I have thought of getting one but not sure of the quality as sme cheap harps are really not good. I have a sedel 1847 silver which am not fussed on & a Meister Klasse in C also not much impressed also a sedel favourite C dont like I have spent a lot of money on more top end harps and then found that I can play the cheaper plastic combed ones much better and they seem to bend better perhaps as I become more xperienced I will appreciat the top end harps more but I have to say that to me some of the notes on the dearer ones just do not sound correct specially the Meiter Klasse the 8 hole suck makes this squeeking noise and its always that one hole it been like it since I had it so for a harp that cost nearly £70 I am dissapointed with it any if you let me know about the Folk Master I would be grateful…regards keep harpin :slight_smile:

Hi SPD I like the G/M good harp for the money but makes my tongue a bit sore because I tongue block its that brass strip that sticks out and last week I sent off for
a big river in B and I thought it would be a bit inferior [bit like my playing at the mo] but was pleased to find it plays real smooth so that was a good buy, special 20 in C I got but cant seem to get on with it and I favour the plastic combs its like I will be playing some thing on it and I draw on 5 or 6 not sure which one and its like the note is so mega high pitched it just does not sound right peace be with you SPD keep harpin ;D

I’ve had several harps sitting in a drawer for a few years doing nothing. This is how it is when your exceedingly lazy and lost. I have several tutorials which I hope to actually make use of and I’ve just gotten the boon of my first PC and all its resources. I’m hoping the harp will be a sort of therapy for depression and such like.

Been playing a coupla years. I’m a sorta on/off kinda guy, at the moment I’m kinda giving it giving it hell.
I’ve got a suzuki folkmaster in C,D and a promaster in G.

Hi SPD I like the G/M good harp for the money but makes my tongue a bit sore because I tongue block [b][i][u]its that brass strip that sticks out [/u] [/i] [/b] and last week I sent off for a big river in B

And you don’t feel that on your Big River? :stuck_out_tongue:

I like my Big Rivers too…My Bb gets a lot of action. Yet if I don’t play any of them, even after a week or so - I can always feel those sharp reed plates again, and have to readjust also. But it could just be me…

draw on 5 or 6 not sure which one and its like the note is so mega high pitched it just does not sound right

Sounds like maybe it’s time to do some reed tuning…

Even though I emboss and regap - I finally ventured into raising/lowering pitches on my GM C recently. With a tuner, a Lee Oskar file, and some very fine adjustments - I really took my time and a nice steady hand with it. And for me, it just sounds better now. So I must have done something right. :slight_smile:

Keep on Harpin’!

Hi SPD how you doing? about the big river and yes reed plates do protrude but I reckon not as much as on the G/M been playing it tonight and I am well pleased with this lower end harp it plays so smooth £15 it cost me and if it had been cr*p I could not have said too much for that price but its a little beaut but I was playing beautiful dreamer earlier on tonight and I struggled to get a draw bend on hole four but I did get it after about four attempts but my G/M bends really well for me I am glad to say shame about the reed plate but that wont stop me playing it I really like the rounded smooth contours on it it sits so snug in my hands, peace be with you SPD…harp on

It takes a while to break in them Big River reeds, PJD. But they do work. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that if you have a Big River, you don’t need a any Hohner Blues Harps - they’re virtually the same thing. Refer to Reply#s 8-18! :o

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/cheap-but-effective-harmonicas/msg1054/#msg1054

Smiles!

Keep on harpin’!

Special 20s-and Suzuki Manjis. Both are terrific–the Special 20s are lots less expensive!

Special 20s-and Suzuki Manjis. Both are terrific--the Special 20s are lots less expensive!

Hi Mcmanus I have one Manji and I had it customized by Ben Bouman I think he’s from Netherlands ??? Not 100% on that.
Here’s his site http://www.customharmonicashop.com/.

I got it in the key of “G” and man does it play, the sound resonates so much that it actually tickles my lips
when I play it down on the low end playing chords.

Note to Tyson and Dave T. (I know you have one of Bowman’s Beta harps) I was having a problem with the 10B hole
so I opened it up and he engraves your name inside with the date, that’s pretty cool 8) I did get the 10B hole freed up.

Harp on!!

yeh! SPD I reckon when them reads are broke in I will have a good little harp I like good value for money and I have spent a lot on more xpensive harps what a mug I
was because some of the cheaper ones dare I say it play better unless its my inexperience but funny how I can play my G/M lee oscar and delta frost and special20 [if it was in tune] better than say my Meister Klasse seydel fav seydel1847 and seydel soloist pro why is this I seem to struggle with the more xpensive ones as I thought they would be easier to play perhaps its just the cheaper ones suit me better peace SPD keep harpin :slight_smile:

pjd my story sounds familiar to yours.

My 35 dollar Golden Melody’s does the trick for me. And I do own a Meisterklasse and a couple Seydels, Not that I hate them it’s I got so use
to the GM’s :wink:

Harp on!!

Hi Joe I can see you relate to my drift. Golden melody big YES to that little lady I reckon [tongue in cheek] it has got feminine traites about it, its easy to get along with and very receptive to a freshman such as I and what with those sexy curves she fits snuggly into my hands and along with the special 20 allows me to enter the realms of harp bending so every body three cheers for the Golden Melody [smiles] ;D peace Joe keep harpin.

Hi Joe I can see you relate to my drift. Golden melody big YES to that little lady I reckon [tongue in cheek] it has got feminine traites about it, its easy to get along with and very receptive to a freshman such as I and what with those sexy curves she fits snuggly into my hands and along with the special 20 allows me to enter the realms of harp bending so every body three cheers for the Golden Melody [smiles] Grin peace Joe keep harpin

Spoken like a true and tried seasoned pro.

You know it pjd

Harp on!!

it has got feminine traits about it, its easy to get along with and very receptive to a freshman such as I and what with those sexy curves she fits snuggly into my hands and

A) Been too long on Cell Block GM?! :-\

B) Been sleeping with your harps in bed again?! :-[

C) Really got to get yourself a woman?! :-*

D) Like Joe I got your drift! ;D

So funny! It’s all good! Thanks PJD! You make my day! :smiley:

Smiles!

Keep On Harpin’!