How to make a harmonica response to bend properly?

How to make hole 1 to hole 3 to easily response to (draw) bending?

Someone said, by increasing the draw reed gap a bit may help. To make it more air tight, we have to narrow the gap of the blow reed.

Is it true?

My general rule of thumb is: On the 1-6 blow/draw reeds, I gap the reeds down to close them and make more airtight for bending. On the 7-10 blow/draw reeds, I gap the reeds up slightly to open and make them easier to hit the higher register notes.

There are various clips throughout this forum section to guide you along.

It’s not as hard as it looks. Just have patience and take your time.

Good luck!

Keep On Harpin’!

I found for hole 1-3 if I made the draw reeds too close to the reed plate, it would choke easily when playing.

In the video that about reed gap which was posted by you, the guy said lower the tune of the harmonica, wider the gap.

So, I follow the instruction and finally made my Suzuki Manji M20 response to both bend and unbend draw.

I found the video from Adam Gussow is also very good reference.
http://youtu.be/fkqmXP9IVyg

Am so glad it worked out for you…

There’s more than one way to skin a cat, tune a fish, er um harp…

Having used Rupert Oysler/Richard Sleigh/Mike Stevens and others methods for gapping, one thing Adam didn’t show on the clip or discuss was the opposite side of the harmonica.

Meaning, while he likes using the ol MBs, and he’s been at it for many years – Still, you wouldn’t just customize and pinstripe one half of your hot rod Camaro, no more than you would tweak just half of the strings on your Martin or Fender guitar…

So why only do one side of the harmonica reed plates when there are two to be worked on?

At the same time, I also emboss my reeds (both blow and draw), so automatically, they would have to be raised slightly to get them to work properly.

Again though, it’s all in the touch. And experience helps in that!

Enjoy!

Smiles!

“Have Harp, Will Travel!”