How to practice throat vibrato?

I have walked through all JP’s DVDs. I could use the simple cough technique but still couldn’t figure out how to do throat vibrato.

Actually, I have no idea of how to draw with throat vibrato.

Is there any exercise that could help?

What do you want to do with throat vibrato is the question.

JP, Jon Gindick, Jerry Portnoy and others do cover it…And there are some threads and posts you can find in a Search here.

Throat vibrato is fun; easily done; but not always needed…However, what do you want to do with throat vibrato is the questions?!

“Have Harp, Will Travel!”

The sound produced using throat vibrato is really cool and soulful, just like those singers. With this technique, it will give me one more way to decorate the sounds without using hand vibrato.

I know the trick is at the vocal cord. But, I would like to seek help if there is any step-by-step exercise that I could practice little by little everyday.

Okay –

In the “Search” box in the bar atop, type in the word(s) ‘vibrato’ or ‘throat vibrato.’

Discounting this particular thread here, you’ll find the various discussions on the subject.

Additionally, as perhaps one mode of attack to understand vibrato, I would:

A) First learn about hand vibrato. You will be making the ‘wah-wah-wah’ sounds holding the harp in one hand and using the fast fluctuations of the other hand, as demonstrated by teachers David Harp, Dave McKelvy, and others. JP also demonstrates different hand vibrato techniques on his DVD lessons.

Oh and the song “Shenandoah” (which you can find demonstrated as well as tabs for on the forum) is used as the learning standard to incorporate hand vibratos too! So check this out as well!

B) From there, Dave Harp, Jon Gindick and others discuss ‘mouth vibrato.’ You will first learn to say a rapid-fire “Oy-oy-oy” - Generally while exhaling because it’s easier that way. While verbalizing the oy-oy-oys, feel the action taking place inside your mouth. What your tongue, muscles at the back of the throat and airways are all doing at the same time.

When you’re ready, reverse or rather inhale the oy-oy-oys and put the harmonica up to your lips/in your mouth.

Done properly, you will hear this type of vibrato. Both Dave and Jon say not to do both a hand and mouth vibrato at the same time or in the same piece, as it will sound too funky. But try it anyway, so you understand the why/why not concepts of doing it.

C) From there, Jon, JP and others discuss opening up the back of your throat and using a rapid fire “k-k-k-k” sounds. Do this on an exhalation first to get the proper feel and position of it. Then when you’re ready, inhale the k-k-k-k sounds as you did the oy-oy-oys. Place the harmonica into your mouth and see how long you can maintain it.

As you’re using/training/developing new muscles - including along the esophagus and deep inside from the diaphragm - just know that throat vibrato as described here and played by you/everyone takes: TIME!

Jon, Dave and others suggest that you work on getting the throat open and patterns down without using the harmonica first. This works good too.

And if you find yourself gagging and/or choking when starting the inhaled k-k-k-k sounds – This will eventually pass and you’ll be able to do everything much smoother and at will. But again: Give yourself TIME!!

Hope this helps!

Keep On Harpin’!

Thanks SPD

I think I got the tricks finally.

I found the following steps may help.

1. Produce Ka.Ka.Ka.Ka sound with exhale
  2. Produce Hoo.Hoo.Hoo.Hoo sound with exhale
  3. Produce Koo.Koo.Koo.Koo sound with inhale
  4. Keep the action in step 3 but try to remove the K sound.

Cool beans, Simon!

Whatever it takes!

Whether it’s oy-oy-oy; k-k-k; hoo-hoo-hoo; or ka-ka-ka –

Although the descriptions and articulations may be different from person to person – All the principals for doing vibrato are identical, as well hopefully results the same!

Incidentally, Jon Gindick’s lesson for articulating “Kee-Coo” {cookie backwards and on the inhales} to automatically make the proper formation in the mouth for bending draw notes is probably the best method I’ve ever come across. Give it a shot and see how you like it!

Good luck!

Keep On Harpin’!

hehehehhe, I tried this…slobbered all over myself.

twasnt pretty at all.

Wet harps make a fugly noise, did ya know?

Here is a method I used to do. With the changes to my mouth, I can no longer do it (for now).

Can you roll your r’s when you speak? I think it sounds pretty good on a harp, put your tongue in the roof of you mouth, while keeping it relaxed at the same time, a breath thru it, causing it to vibrate and slap the roof of your mouth. It’s nice when playing low on a g harp, gives it a sexy raunchy sound, the sort of sound that will make a girl quiver in the liver…lol