How to Transcribe (Learning music by Ear)

Looks like you can slow stuff down in Audacity:

"Select (click and drag) the area you’d like to slow down. You can also go Edit>Select All if you want to select the entire track.

Click Effect>Change Tempo . Then drag the slider to the left however much you want to slow the track down (you can also speed it up by dragging right) and click “OK”. Keep in mind that the slower you go the more the effect seems to bog down the computer while it is generating."

Hope that helps.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

Cool, thanks @Luke will have to check that out.
Do you also have a donwload page like the youtube to mp3 one but to download the video?

Hi @AstridHandbikebee63 sorry I can’t read German.
Is there a way I can translate?

Thank you

2 Likes

Hey @tom2340 I don’t know of any. The only way I know how to download vids is using the Airy app that I mentioned. It cost me $20. Only bummer is every once in awhile it won’t be able to download a video that I want to download. But it can download probably 80-90% of the vids that I’ve tried.

This is what I use to understand Astrid. :slight_smile: https://translate.google.com

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Hello @ tom2340,

In the last few weeks I have dealt with various programs on Windows 10.
With the free programs you get annoyed by advertising and I find the simpler programs relatively difficult to master despite good experience. With “just a little” it is not enough.
In terms of prices, they start at around € 50 here in Europe. None of them really convinced me.
Best regards Astrid

It’s better? :smiley:

1 Like

Astrid and/or Luke is there is a simple translator as I would dearly love to be able to read Astrid’s posts.
Not at all essential but would be nice.
Incidentally, I have successfully been using Y2mate to convert U Tube videos into MP3s.

Robert

London Canada

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks very much Astrid. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Thanks Luke.

1 Like

Since I first wrote this post, I’ve been turned on to Transcribe! which is another great slow-downer tool, this time software for desktop/laptop (rather than ASD which is an iPhone app.)

If you pick it up, here’s Carlos Del Junco’s first free lesson on using it: VIDEO 1 Basic Functions of the program "Transcribe!" - YouTube

Here’s to learning straight from the masters. :beers::notes:

3 Likes

Hello @mountainlion.consult nice to see another new face (you know what I mean). Hope to catch you around the forum. :grin:

2 Likes

G’day Bobby. Just start being like Luke now. If you’re anything me, growing up, ain’t gonna happen brother :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @tom2340 just highlight what you want translated by holding your finger where you want to start. Then drag finger to where you want to end. While it’s blue, tap on it and some options will appear. You will see translate there. Hope I explained it right. Works for me and I’m an idiot when it comes to IT cheers

2 Likes

This is the so-called absolute pitch. By constantly repeating the audio and sharpening your ears, you can quickly remember this melody without using a pen. But I’m wondering where should I get downloads of popular songs I want to learn. I want to use this method to learn songs in my Spotify Playlist. But I need to download them first, and then import them into the slow player. I searched online and found that there are many third-party music conversion software, such as DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter, TunesFun Spotify Music Converter, and TunesSolo Spotify Music Converter. Has anyone used it?

2 Likes

Hey @MiaWells - welcome to the forum!

Yeah Spotify USED to work with ASDR. So bummed when they stopped. Apple Music still works, but you can only slow down, you can’t change pitch. I’ve never used any of the resource you’ve mentioned.

These days, sometimes I find the song on YT and you can use a YT-to-mp3 converter, or sometimes, I just take a video or voice memo of the song and then can bring em into ASDR.

Of course Transcribe!, you can import vids too. You can just download a YT vid or take a vid of it and put that right into Transcribe!

Hope that helps? Which app are you using?

1 Like