I am new and dont know what to do!!!

I hope this is right lol. I recently quit smoking cigs. I needed something to do. I always wanted to play harmonica so necessity is mother of invention lol. Bet ya never thouhgt a harmonica as a no smoking aid. Waiting on my DVD so i can get started. Thanks again

Congrats on that…Good for you!

I haven’t given up smoking yet…But I’ve stopped drinking, at least until Lent is over! Mwuahahaha!

Welcome & Have Fun!

Keep On Harpin’!

Thanks man. Yeah I HAD to quit smoking. But Harmonica keeps my time and hands occupied. When i feel the urge to smoke i just play harp. It really seems to help. Cant wait to get started on the course.

Boogeyman,

Congrats on taking up the harp and quitting smoking, Take the latter 1 day at a time
I remember when I quit it was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

But it’ll get easier as each day passes and before you know it the pain and ya I know
it’s painful will go away.

It will… 3 months 6 months 12 months whatever the urge will go and you will have the
rest of your life smoke free…

Harp On!!

Thanks Joe. Just got thru with campfire basics (streaming). All I can say is WOW!!! It works lol.

Ok I never thought i would say it but… I think i can do this. had fun and learned alot on first DVD. Cant wait to practice what i learned and move on up.

Yes sir it’s all fun and very addicting,

Also recording yourself and then listening will also improve your playing.

Look into doing that with some free software that’s out there.

Harp On!!

Welcome Bro!
You got this!
I’ll pray your journey will be a good one!
–BT

I’m an ex-smoker too! 7 years now! It is tough to stop but well worth it! Like loosing a ball and chain! It will get easier but the temptation will always raise its ugly head now and then.
I’m glad the campfire ready lessons made since to you, I could play along with the CD fine but couldn’t apply it to other music. It just didn’t click for me.
JP’s CD on bending REALLY helped me out once I applied it with playing cross harp scales. It all just naturally came together at that point. Understanding bending and second position, not getting campfire ready.
I was going to suggest Youtube lessons while you were waiting for CD’s to arrive but it looks like you have them already so stick with the JP’s lessons and you won’t go wrong! Some things seem a little tedious but just follow along anyway! There is reason to his method.
Good luck with both challenges you have taken on!

B-man,

I quit smoking the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1988 (Veteran’s Day). It was not easy but hang in there - your can do it and it’s well worth the effort.

I hope we both have as much success with the harmonica.

Jimus

Johnny Rivers almost had a song about that, but he had sevens in his song.
I’m glad your doing well and healing your lungs. The air we breathe is bad enough.
We don’t need to make it more toxic sucking in smoke from a grass fire and burning paper.
As the man once said…Muahahahah

BB

Thanks for the comments. I am still going strong on the zero cig policy lol. And yes still practicing harmonica. Sad to say I havent had time to even ck out my dvds. But i getting portable dvd player to keep at my office. I got about an hour to myself in the mornings lol. Thanks yall.

Yeah, the portable dvd player is good… :slight_smile:

Besides my laptop’s dvd in one room, I have the little portable in the ‘throne’ room… ::slight_smile:

For watching and playing along with all the dvds, I certainly have both ends covered! :wink:

Hehehehe! :smiley:

“Have Harp, Will Travel!” 8)

ROFL!
SPD! That was…wow.
–BT

Just telling it like it is… :slight_smile:

Keeping it real… ;D

Thanks for noticing, Lil’ Bro! :wink:

“Have Harp, Will Travel!” 8)

Hey, Boogieman! I’ve been smoke free for 19 months now. Smoked for 35 years, pack to two packs daily. Playing the harmonica has been a great help and it’s Fun Too! ;D
What ever you do, don’t light another!
There is a tune I learned on Harmonica Academy called Planxty Erwin, it is an AABB structure. I remember not being able to play it AB. Ran out of air.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5296345/Planxty%20Erwin-Tremolo%20001.mp3

if the link works, this is me learning the same tune using a Suzuki Humming Tremolo 21 Key of C.
Note: a Tremolo takes more air than a diatonic, seems to me.

Happy Harpin’! Tyson