I have a few questions.

Here they are:

1. Do you bring your harmonica around in a case or just put it in your pocket?

2. What do you do after playing your harmonica? Do you clean it or something? If so, how?

3. How long did it take you to get the basics down? To play your first song?

Hey there Ace,

I keep my harmonica in its cover before putting it in my pocket. Keeps it safe. And you should never keep a harmonica in your back pocket…you could sit on it and crush its covers.

After I’m done playing, I tap my harmonica against my palm or leg to remove excess mositure from the instrument. Then, I allow your harmonica to dry before storing it. I just keep it with the case open for a while.

How long did I take to play my first song? Hmmm…well, I played my first song before learning any of the basics (deep relaxed embouchure, single notes, etc)! I think I figured out how to play a few simple tunes in a few hours…eventhough I probably sounded horrible. :slight_smile:

Ashish

Thanks Ashish!

Just wondering though, aside from getting rid of excess moisture, do you clean the outside as well? I tend to wipe the cover plates and the holes after playing. Is this okay or is that not a good habit to develop.

Ace you probably already read this but I think it’s important so I didn’t want you to miss it.

You get that scale down and man you’ll be on your way to playing hundred’s of tunes.

Practice that everyday.

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/what%27s-your-biggest-harp-challenge-currently/msg1563/#msg1563

Just wondering though, aside from getting rid of excess moisture, do you clean the outside as well? I tend to wipe the cover plates and the holes after playing. Is this okay or is that not a good habit to develop.

Won’t hurt to clean outside. Big thing like Ashish says get that excess moisture out of the inside ;D

Good luck your in for an exciting ride :wink:

Harp On!!

Tapping out the moisture then letting it air out before storage is good. I also, for time to time, wipe it down with an alcohol pad. Always carry your harps in there cases, this helps protect them from getting dirt, lent etc. stuck in the reeds.

Baptism in corn squeezins aint a bad way to go either.
The only trouble is how to dispose of the left overs properly.

Howdy Ace [classified]

I always carry mine in its case. Even if I have a set without boxes, like my Spec 20s and carrying casefrom Musicians Friend, I still have one box from way back when. So if I’m wanting to say carry around my A for the day, I’ll just put my other C in the case and the A in the box. Works out great!

I also carry my Piedmonts in my mother’s little lint free nylon socks. But I didn’t realize they had perfumed softner in them. And my Bb and D picked up on it and it wasn’t all too good at that. I cleaned out my harps, as well as washed the socks in hot water, no soap. And I still use them to carry around the Piedmonts. This works out great too!

2. What do you do after playing your harmonica? Do you clean it or something? If so, how?

With all the other fine suggestions posted here, as a beginner it’s good to know about:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/overcoming-baby-mouth-desert-lips-or-both!/

As well as it may benefit you to utilize this too:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-talk/how-to-make-your-harmonicas-worst-enemy-your-best-friend!/

3. How long did it take you to get the basics down? To play your first song?

The very first song I ever learned to play was Oh Susanna. I was a young teenager at the time; and music stores used to give you a free booklet by Hohner on how to play. I still have that little booklet.

As far as how long it takes to get down the basics - Well I can’t give you a specific calendar date on that one. It’s a subjective and personal thing for everyone at their own pace. I played Oh Susanna right off the bat, but it took me a while to memorize it without looking at the tab. How long did that take ago? Beats me! But it’s in the memory banks now!

Bottom line Ace [classified] is: Don’t stress out so much by putting undue pressures on yourself. Don’t get overwhelmed by any of it either. Take everything step-by-step, little by little and along the way you’ll have so many of your own Aha Eureka Moments you won’t be able to contain yourself!

When you do: Congratulations! You’ve gotten closer to your own individual goals without even realizing it!

Cool beans, eh?

Remember Always To Just Have Fun!

Keep on Harpin’!

And thanks for reading!

I always keep one in the money pocket of my jeans (the little pocket in the right pocket), the rest is arranged in my backpack (where pencils and stuff is supposed to be).

1. What do you do after playing your harmonica? Do you clean it or something? If so, how?

I don’t do any cleaning, never have.

1. How long did it take you to get the basics down? To play your first song?

I learned to play my first song by tabs after a few weeks, by ear it took me over a year. My tips to you is to not worry about how fast you can learn a tune. Don’t rush it with tabs, take your time and do it by ear. Learn single notes, then play the major scale until you puke! Always practice scales, this will pay of when improvising and playing by ear. When you get to the point where you can’t stop hearing the major scale in your head, try playing tunes from your childhood. You’ll be surprised how easy these can be to figuere out.

This is from an earlier post re my methods of cleaning harps:-

If wooden comb ie like Marine Bands ignore. But for Suzuki Harpmasters, Bluesmasters, Promasters, Lee Oskars & Sp20s I clean as follows , and have done for years:-

-Strip apart being careful to ID the reed plates with a permanent marker so that you can put them back without being upside down & back to front.

-Use a denture cleansing tablet in a tumbler of warm water & soak reed plates for eg 15 min. Steradent make a denture tablet that is ok to use with metals.

-Use dishwashing liquid + an old toothbrush to cleanse the comb and cover plates.

-Rinse off all parts in clean water.

-Hang out to dry in a shady area. I use bent paper clips to hold the parts.

When dry re assemble being carefull not to overtighten any of the screws ie don’t tighten one and then another but do tighten them all gradually. If you overtighten you may strip the thread or have a harp that leaks air.

This method of cleaning I have found restores the harp to ‘as new’. Minute gunk is removed from the reeds and plates that was dulling the sound. Harps sound better.

If you realised what was in saliva you will know that the above process can Wink do no harm. But don’t try it on a wooden harp.

Always carry your harps in a case otherwise fluff /lint will get into the reeds. I carry some harps in leather pouches but the original box gives best protection.

From a pharmacy I get Webcol Alcohol Wipes & use these to wipe over the mouthpiece. These wipes are cheap and are what the doctor uses to wipe your skin before giving you a needle. The wipes steralise the harp.

I always, before playing my harps :- 1) preferably brush my teeth or 2) use dental floss (I carry some in my harp case) 3) have a glass of water…but I carry a low cost, but good harp (Suzuki Folkmaster) which I use if I am having a beer & something to nibble.

I am having a beer & something to nibble.

Hey David T: Me too! ;D

My fridge has a case of Fosters - Australian for beer! And my cupboard has plenty of tater chips to last through it all!

Way t’ go! :smiley:

Keep on Harpin’!

I have been learning on and off since February 2010, and I haven’t cleaned my harmonica yet. I may do it soon, but they still play fine.

As for carrying it I took the pouch that my kids plastic hohners came in and I use that to carry them in my pocket. It keeps the dust out and doesn’t really take up any more room in my pocket than the harmonica itself does. I put the boys harmonicas in some ziploc bags because they don’t take theirs anywhere.

[font=Verdana]SPD Quote “My fridge has a case of Fosters - Australian for beer! And my cupboard has plenty of tater chips to last through it all!” [/font]

SPD> I will let the truth be known ie no one in Australia drinks Fosters anymore. In fact you need to search far and wide to find it but it’s considered a ‘yuk’ beer. The following beers are Australian & are big sellers here:-
VB (stands for Victoria Bitter)
Coopers (By far our best beer, and one of the worlds best)
XXXX (Fourex)
Boags.
Carlton Crown Lager
All will make you a better player ie you will think you are!!!

Shout Out To Bugle Boy

Baptism in corn squeezins aint a bad way to go either. The only trouble is how to dispose of the left overs properly.

Um, yeah, okay like uh what Field Manual were you quoting/reading/interpretting from here? Just curious… ::slight_smile:

Shout Out To David T

From all the Aussie truckers and most everybody from your neck of the woods I’ve met throughout my coast to coast travels here, they all say the same about Fosters as you. It’s all gimmicky and promotional like those Outback Steakhouses here also! :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course they talked about all the other better beers available Down Under; yet know too unless they’re say specially ordered through some high-priced beer bars, we can’t necessarily get our hands on them either! :-\

That’s why also whenever I find myself in their neighborhoods, I’ll get myself some real Canadian and/or Mexican beer to bring home from the export stores. :slight_smile:

So bottoms up and cheers, mate! :smiley:

Keep on Harpin’!

I think we need to start a beer blog or a beer pole. or a beer…

Get David T talking about his Aussie beer and watch out.

Harp On!!

Be a great topic for:

THE DOWNTOWN/IN THE COUNRTY/BACKSTAGE/UNDERGROUND LOUNGE!

If once and ever we get this place built, that is! ::slight_smile:

SPD I believe Bugle boy is suggesting soaking the harp in alcohol, and then drinking the leftovers. Corn Squeezing = Moonshine.

Gregmatic,

Makes so much sense now.

You learn so much on this forum ::slight_smile:

I would never have known that!!

Harp on!!

I believe Bugle Boy is suggesting soaking the harp in alcohol, and then drinking the leftovers. Corn Squeezing = Moonshine.

O I C!!! :o

Must have a little WC in him too then! ;D

Both of these are good; yet I really liked the Benny Goodman/Gene Krupa-like arrrangement on the second! Enjoy!!! :smiley:

Greatest Drunks of All Time: W.C. Fields

The Wisdom of W.C. Fields