JP Allen's Complete Harmonica Course

I am not quite sure how to word this, but I am looking to those who have used the DVD course to learn the harmonica. I am hoping that others might share how they utilized the course and how much time they spent on each lesson before moving forward.

Now that being said, I have only watched the first two DVD’s and I have had my Special 20 in hand following along, but I am not sure if I should try to watch just one segment and then take some time to master that one skill or if I should just keep moving along after I have a basic understanding. Since I am only in the beginning I apologize if this question will answer itself as I proceed, but I am sure some one here will let me know!

I also have a suggestion, but this would be for one of the Big Wigs who are in charge of the forum. I believe that it would be nice to add a sub topic under Everything Harmonica designated to just JP Allen’s Course. This would give all of his students a place to go when they hit a snag or have questions about what is specifically in the DVD course. Just an idea and I am not sure if it is even possible. I know that I am a new guy, so I am sorry if I have overstepped my bounds…

Now that being said, I have only watched the first two DVD's and I have had my Special 20 in hand following along, but I am not sure if I should try to watch just one segment and then take some time to master that one skill or if I should just keep moving along after I have a basic understanding.

Hey Boz, I believe in mastering things before moving ahead. However, sometimes you can get frustrated if you try to master something that is extremely difficult. I remember I used to get really frustrated whenever JP would do a throat vibrato! I couldn’t do it no matter how hard I tried. So, I just moved on with his lessons without doing the vibratos. I kept working on them all the time, but it took me years to get a good vibrato. :o Some techniques take time to develop. The key lies in practicing the things you find difficult over and over, and not the things you find easy. So, I think it’s okay to move on with the lessons if something is ridiculously difficult…but don’t give up on them. Keep practicing until you master it.

I also have a suggestion, but this would be for one of the Big Wigs who are in charge of the forum. I believe that it would be nice to add a sub topic under Everything Harmonica designated to just JP Allen's Course. This would give all of his students a place to go when they hit a snag or have questions about what is specifically in the DVD course. Just an idea and I am not sure if it is even possible. I know that I am a new guy, so I am sorry if I have overstepped my bounds...

That’s a good idea! Let’s hope the forum gods are reading this. :smiley:

Hey Boz, I started exactly where you are now. I got the course and my Special 20 in the key of C and off I went into the course. I actually contacted JP to see if there was a sequence to them and I’d follow that sequence. But what I actually did was I played every CD and DVD and just watched to find out what is on each disc. I did this several times and found it to be very entertaining and I did not try to play along, I just watched.

After finding out what the course had to offer I then went to the parts that I wanted to explore, like the Blues I, IV, V cord sequence… Once into that I found that bending was important so I went to the DVD on bending and everything just seemed to fall in place. By doing this I put no pressure on myself if I was not enjoying a certain session I dropped it and went to something I liked and enjoyed. That’s the blessing of this course, you can establish a sequence of learning that you choose and enjoy, but everything you need to learn or know is there if and when you need it.

Good idea about a special place for this course on the forum.

Barry

Howdy, Boz!

First up: Never apologize for asking questions. That’s what this place is for. Okay, cool beans!

Am glad you’ve invested in JP Allen’s – the world’s best-selling and most favorite – home harmonica course DVD bundle. As has been noted several times and in many posts on this forum and elsewhere, this was/is the cornerstone of my wanting to finally learn and master this little instrument called the harmonica.

Via the YouTube videos, free email lessons, along with JP’s energy and enthusiasm I knew I was getting something worthwhile and of value for my efforts. JP’s home harmonica course bundle was/is one of the best investment on this journey I ever made to help me achieve my personal goals.

Now that you have you very own bundle course to work with:

I am not sure if I should try to watch just one segment and then take some time to master that one skill or if I should just keep moving along after I have a basic understanding.
It’s a good question. And it was in asking myself the same thing that I had an Aha-Eureka moment to create for myself: A Plan! You gotta have a plan, man!

I started out by watching the first two DVDs and working on the exercises. Although just laying groundwork for things to come, yet within days I was inspired to write and thank JP for such a wonderful product. I found at the time I was communicating with his customer service rep Jason. Jason and I began corresponding. It was after several months and personal calls with JP himself that our conversations would eventually be turned into this forum.

Thing is, while I was in the process of pitching the ideas of this forum to Jason and JP, I had only gone through less than half of the DVDs too.

I then decided, like a movie, or mini-series if you will, to sit and watch all the remaining disks. However, I did take it slow. Meaning, I only allowed myself to watch one every other day or so. I also watched the extra bonus tracks as well.

When I first saw the Gypsy Harmonica track, I can’t tell you how many times I played it over and over again. In one of my music orders, I made it a point to acquire a Lee Oscar Harmonic Minor in A just so I could learn how to play something similar as well. It became another good investment for me.

Thing is, as you progress along the DVDs, you’re going to be coming across lessons that have some new harmonica keys for those lessons.

At first, perhaps I might’ve been taken aback by this – After all, I had a Spec20 C, now I had to get a Spec20 A, D, and F as well. However though, I also realized that not all harmonica playing is played on a C harp. And since JP’s lessons are filled to the brim with all sorts of music styles, riffs, licks and tunes all on various keys – It behooved me to follow my plan and invest in these other harps also.

While working on the first few lessons, create for yourself a plan. What you want to learn; what you want to play; etc. Then take the time to go through all the lessons. Find out what interests you at that time. And then adapt your plan(s) accordingly.

You’re not going to be able to absorb everything JP offers in one sitting, one viewing of the lessons. There’s just too much. At least several weeks if not months and/or more involved. And that’s a great thing!

However throughout/within this bundle, certain lessons will inspire you as you – And I believe you’ll have a better idea of how you want to reach your goals from there.

In my working on the DVD lessons, I also went through the Supplemental downloaded books too. These include many different songs which are tabbed out and can easily be learned on the C harp.

I would suggest you go through all these as well. Find the songs you would like to learn to play. And then work on them also.

Although JP admits and adds the disclaimer that perhaps some of the tabs in the songs may/could be incorrect – Well, that’s just the nature of the beast. I have plenty of tab books from various sources, and there are misprints, albeit few and far between, in all of them.

The idea of learning the songs though is to learn the melodies, and then use your own way of playing them so they’re recognizable to you and others. That’s the beauty of your playing harmonica – Bringing yourself into the music. And vice versa!

I also have a suggestion, but this would be for one of the Big Wigs who are in charge of the forum. I believe that it would be nice to add a sub topic under Everything Harmonica designated to just JP Allen's Course. This would give all of his students a place to go when they hit a snag or have questions about what is specifically in the DVD course.
Well, I don’t consider myself a Big Wig {although BB and a few others might tend to disagree with that assessment! Hehehe!}

Thing is, when I wrote out my plan for this JP Allen forum – I did propose a section for JP Allen lessons etc.

The main thrust and purpose of my proposal was/is threefold: One is Investment; One is Support. They are actually in one of my very first posts here:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/introduce-yourself/hello-welcome-were-not-proud!/

The third One is Value!

The way it works and the way I see it is:

I made an Investment in JP Allen’s home harmonica bundle. Which for me – and no doubt countless others – is the world’s best-selling and most favorite course ever.

What I didn’t see though was any Support for it. Meaning, there was no place I could find to actually talk about the lessons etc et al with anyone anywhere.

If JP could/would create such a place, a forum as it were, then I could/would feel I have real Value in everything harmonica! And I believed as well that the countless others - whom I didn’t know but yet did know they were out there nonetheless - would have the same type of thoughts and feelings too!

Without going into all the details - sordid and otherwise hehehe! – eventually, this forum was born.

Although this forum is relatively young by comparison of older established forums elsewhere; and it is a work in progress; and things are being planned for the future - 2011 and beyond; although it may seem slow in developing, well that’s just the nature of the beast too!

Yet 2600+ members and growing can’t be wrong!

Now while I’m not actually able to discuss what the future may hold until it gets here to the present – I can say that when time came to organize this forum, I had to study and observe where the members at that time were forging and developing this new venture.

While I originally proposed a specific JP Allen discussion block, I also became aware that not very many members conversed on JP Allen lessons specifically.

At the same time too, from the very start, I also made it clear that if I was going to be involved in this forum as a Moderator/Writer/Communicator etc. – That I would not turn this into an all the talk, all the time big JP Allen commercial. His other websites were created to do that for him.

It didn’t mean I or anybody wouldn’t talk about JP Allen when the subjects or topics arose –

{On an aside: As I’ve said elsewhere and truth be told, if somebody actually paid me cash ala a New York Madison Avenue ad agency, after the big check cleared, I could’ve turned this into a big JP Allen Brand promotional site. It didn’t happen. And by the same token, if JP started out by doing the same thing, with me not being compensated for it in any manner, and just for the hell of it – Well, rest assured, I would’ve taken my talents and business elsewhere! Thankfully though none of that’s happened…yet! And if it ever does…Um we’ll see…Hehehehe!! Be that as it may…}

However, my intentions, my plans, my goals were/are to be able to bring people together to discuss anything everything in the Harmonica Universe, and then some.

So JP Allen in his own wisdom saw the Value in this as well!

While JP’s immediate concerns are in getting beginners involved and encouraging them to stay with harmonica – As Ty-Man (Tyson), JF (Joe) and others will attest that we’re all beginners every day – Still though, we do hope and we will progress beyond this into intermediate levels if we haven’t done so already!

So by those measures, by these means, the forum is open to discuss and converse on anything everything harmonica along our own personal journeys through the Harmonica Universe, from our own little sector of it!

Yet again, with 2600+ members and still growing, well, in time soon enough, the Big Wigs will have to evolve and do more to keep this a fun and wonderful place to Invest one’s time in, to get their Support from it, and know they can come away with some real Value for all their efforts!

Bottom line is: Eventually, if enough real interest is shown in JP Allen lessons specifically, then during a future upgrade, along with a few other ideas the Big Wigs and lil ole me (along with the great suggestions other fine members post on this their forum too) are tossing around – then there will probably most likely be a block made available for just such things.

But for now, if you do have any questions and/or comments on any of JP’s lessons, by all means feel free to share and discuss them with everyone here. That’s one of the things this place is all about! And therein again, no apologies necessary nor required here!

So as always then:

Have fun!

Keep smiling!

Thanks for reading!

Keep on Harpin’!

Hey, good advice. But NOW I REALLY gotta pee after that.

BB

Hi Boz I was the opposite of Barry, being totally totally beginner
for me I figured start to finish at a nice steady pace.

Working my way through it every morning before work.

Gave 30 -60 minutes a day.

But that’s what worked for me.

harp On!!

Hey, BB! Don’t you know that ya need to pee before you go to the show? Just sayin’ ;D

P.S. We still love ya SPD! ;D

"Hey, BB! Don’t you know that ya need to pee before you go to the show? Just sayin’ "

Both got a chuckle out of me

Ah Barry. what a great post. I’ve always been a “Start at the beggining,go to the end” sort of guy. I haven’t received my JP course yet, still in the post. Now I’ve read your post I think that maybe your idea is the way to go. Start at the first chapter but not be worried about moving all over the course to see what tickles your fancy.
I’m looking forward to starting the course and have enjoyed the free leassons from JP.
I’ve started OK and enjoyed the Silent Night tutorial. I enjoy just mucking about with my harp and immitating some blues type music.
Will let you all know how I get on when I start the course for real.
Cheers
Geoff.