Low Tuned Harmonicas

Same here @Slim! The 1847 Classic is definitely my favorite of the Seydel line for Tone, Responsiveness, and Bendability. They sound and feel WAY BETTER than the Session Steels in my opinion. The 1847 Classics are just beautiful instruments in every way.

I’m on the same page with you (as usual. :wink:)

As always, thanks for sharing your experience! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Will you guys stop spending all my money :joy:. I have to get One to try now. Most of yet time I keep the eBay app open on the phone while I’m forumming on the iPad. So I can check the price.

I know this is the wrong topic but I have navigation problems ( my compass doesn’t work in the cyber world ).
All of my hohner blues harps are clearly labeled on the right side… sorry if this post is inappropriate to discussion. Cheers

2 Likes

Sounds a bit like they’ve given it a Rocket makeover? Odd that they should, apparently, discontinue the old one instead of just adding an extra product line, even if they wanted to make an association with the Golden Melody name?

3 Likes

@DavidW I honestly don’t know for sure. I was told by Todd all about it. So don’t take my word for it. I’m willing to try anything once, but I don’t wanna convert to the new design.

3 Likes

Has anyone used the Seydel Orchestra S in a low tuning? I’m thinking about going through B2B again and was considering using a Low C to do so.

I’ve tried a couple models while learning (Special 20, Crossover, Golden Melody) and have settled into mainly using Golden Melodies (which aren’t available in lows). I’m not crazy about the look of the Rocket Lows tbh and the Orchestras are around the same price point. However, if the Rockets are just hands down better, so be it.

I’ve read @Luke’s review but wondered if anyone had any hands on experience/opinions specifically on the low tunings. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @hwy61xroads

If I’m not mistaken, the Seydel Orchestra models are not what you probably want. The note layout is not like a blues harp. It has the “solo tuning” layout (very similat to a chromatic).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Slim Very good to know. Thanks! Looks like Rocket Low it is :+1:

3 Likes

I’m only a beginner @hwy61xroads but I’ve already accumulated a Lee Oskar Low D and a Rocket Low C. Of the two I find the Rocket is noticably easier to get air through.

5 Likes

Sounds good to me. Thanks @DavidW!

4 Likes

What is the lowest key you folks would recommend learning on?

For context… I’ve got a Lee Oskar in C and have been having a good time going through the B2B course. But i moved a few months back and my schedule changed and i can’t seem to find the time to play until later in the evening. The C feels soooo loud in a quiet house at night and i’m worried about how much travels through the walls to my neighbours so i haven’t been practicing. I miss it! I was on a roll! I thought maybe getting a lower key would make late evening playing possible. I know playing along with the course or songs won’t sound the same with a lower key. But i figure at least i can practice breathing, rhythm, single notes and such on a lower key at night. Bending will have to wait until i can find daylight hours.

3 Likes

A huge welcome to you @deanna.m.cooney I wouldn’t worry too much with the low tuned harp. Your consideration for others says a lot of good things about you. Just play. People will let you know if it’s a problem. You can ask people about it, you will know if they’re just being polite. Hope to catch you around, Stone :koala:

2 Likes

Here’s my 2 Lucky 13 Bass Blues harmonicas. Each has 3 low notes in addition to the 10 normal ones for that key. Think they cost about $60 each. Just ordered one in C.

3 Likes

@deanna.m.cooney That’s a good opportunity to practice playing as softly as you can. Play like there’s a baby sleeping in the room (and no-one wants to wake a sleeping baby!!) Quiet playing is really good for technique development and its easier to get loud from quiet than the other way around - so you get more dynamic range.

4 Likes

@Maka, that’s the way it is! The art is to be able to play quietly. I compare it to riding a bike. You learn how to drive fast, how to drive slowly and how to keep your balance is the art.
Let it be well with you. :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @hwy61xroads
I have a hohner golden melody
I love it
@Luke does a great review on it
Rachelle Plas uses them for the blues
:notes:

4 Likes

@betterapproach.team I own a couple Golden Melodies and I love them to do death. I mainly use them for country, but they make excellent blues harp despite what the purists say. Terry McMillan used them for every genre he played harp on.

4 Likes

@KeroroRinChou There is no reason to it
I just love my golden melody

4 Likes

@betterapproach.team I hope the new model works out to be just as good? I tried to buy a current one a couple of months ago, but it was out of stock (except in obscure keys) pending release of the new model some time in in 2023.

4 Likes

This is why I buy my harps at harmonica specialty shops like Rockin’ Ron’s Music. Ron stocked them up as soon as Hohner made the announcement of the new design for the Golden Melody.

2 Likes

@DavidW thanks
Good to know … appreciate the info

3 Likes