@Luke @davidkachalon sorry, I was away for quite some time in the countryside (woodshedding a lot in the mountains…) and just catching up. Thank you both again for the additional clarification, the tips and the cheering. This is very much appreciated.
@davidkachalon so I have been stuck doing the exercise with a metronome since last time I wrote (a year ago) feeling I am making no progress. Basically it feels that at 90bpm after a short while, or going at 100bpm, the 2 exhales sound like a single one. I am not able to make them distinctive enough.
So recently, I switched how I practice this based on an idea from a friend of mine in Japan (accessorily the best harmonica player I know). The idea is to basically be able to hold the tempo correctly for 3 minutes before moving on. So the practice currently looks like this:
- hold the train rhythm for 3 minutes at 70bpm
- take a break (because it is hard), then try to hold it as much as I can at 80 bpm
- then try to hold it as much as I can at 90bpm
Then as I perfect my train at 70bpm, my idea is to decrease time spent at 70bpm and increase time at 80bpm.
And honestly, after few weeks, even though I mainly practice at 70 bpm, I already hear noticeable difference even when I switch to 90 bpm. So I thought I would share the tip.
Fabulous to hear this! Yes keep doing exactly what you are doing. The phasing takes time but control will cone! Try to go from full nose to full mouth breathing very gradually. Love that it’s working for ya! Yay !
@Mugen - yeah man! A couple things here. The longer the better! I’ll play the train walking for 10, 20, even 30 minutes without stopping!
When I was feeling stuck, sometimes I’d put the metronome, faster, even WAY faster and just forget about the throat pulses, and just try to breathe in and out SUPER RELAXED right in time with the click (I figured, if I can’t do THAT, no WAY I’ll be able to do the train, lol!!)
Keep up the great work. my friend. Rock on! ![]()
@Luke I’d like to see the face of people who pass by you walking while doing the train. ![]()
30 minutes is very impressive! Even 10! After 3 minutes I feel exhausted.
As I continue to practice this regularly, I am getting to the point where I can start trying at 100bpm. But I can’t make 2 clean blows and draws like I can do at 80 or 90bpm. At 100bpm it sounds like 1 long blow and 2 draws.
However, what I kind of realized is that if instead of trying to do 2 deep blows and draws from the throat, I do them shallow, more front the front of the mouth, then it feels I can do 2 clean separated blows and draws.
I think I remember Howard Levy writing something like that, that we have to learn both deep and shallow breath because at speed you don’t have other option than use a shallower breath even if it is less ideal in terms of sound depth. @davidkachalon Is that accurate? At higher speed train do you manage to still use a deep breath or do you also switch to a shallower breath?
Yes shallow breathing is exactly what is happening when you get the speed up to a high rate! Sorry I have been absent for so long. Hope this helps.
@davidkachalon thank you very much, this is helpful.
And we all have a life so I am not expecting immediate answer, so don’t be sorry.
@mugen @davidkachalon cool! Thank you for this. I had never really thought about it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Rock on! ![]()
@Luke in his book “Rhythms of the breath” Howard Levy writes a bit about “mouth breathing” vs “diaphragmatic breathing” (like last paragraph of page 24) where he writes that it is easier to play the drum rudiment fast with mouth breathing. He writes “I don’t use mouth breathing often, but sometimes it is the best thing to use”.
Yeah, in this context, he’s talking about the high notes that you can just use your tongue to blow in an air out of your mouth. You don’t even need your lungs at all!
@davidkachalon Regarding that video ( bookmarked also ) what key harmonica is being used ?
@everyone lets congratulate DK! The winner of the 2026 SPAH Stan Harper award of special merit! You deserved it ![]()
Heard you were a Star at Spah! Congratulations. Whenever I tongue block I think of the things you told me. You’re a great teacher.
Amen!! Big congrats to @davidkachalon you are a star for sure! Thank you for all of your tireless work supporting the Harmonica community! ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
VERY well deserved award.
Thank you, brother!![]()
![]()
Thank you! You are too sweet.![]()
![]()
Thank you! ![]()
![]()
@davidkachalon I am late here, but congrats for the award.