Mini Congas

Have you seen the little mini congas? I think they’re cool, but I always considered them toys or tourist trade junk. I found a set of Moroccan mini’s (more like micro congas actually) at a thrift store for $4. I couldn’t help buying them because they looked so cool. They’re terracotta with goat skins. I’ll post a pic soon. I was shocked that they really play, and sound well. You can get some nice tones off them, almost like the big boys. Maybe it’s the clay that makes them sound. I have terracotta flutes that have beautiful voices. One is shaped like a dove, and plays the basic dove call notes plus some. Man I can tear a mating dove’s heart out when I answer back with this thing. They think they’ve found true love, but as sometimes happens in the real world, they find it’s all a lie. Poor birds…BAD BB.
I wonder how a terracotta harmonica would sound. Maybe just terracotta covers.
Question here:
What happens if you open up the outgoing space on your harp covers. They take a sharp curve toward the comb leaving a small opening. I take it this enhances the reed/harp body vibrations for sound? If the opening is wider, will the sound or projection degrade? Does this have an effect like the cupped hands creating a sound chamber?
Just asking. I’d like to know for sure. Maybe I’ll butcher a cheapo and see what happens.
IT’S ALIVE…no, wait a minute…It’s dead, Jim (McCoy).

BB

The only thing I know about the conga, besides being someplace on the map – Are the conga lines following behind the hot g/f in a mini-skirt!

What happens if you open up the outgoing space on your harp covers.

Barry mentioned he does this on his Spec20s. Said it makes a better difference on the overall sound.

Golden Melodys, Seydels and the Harrisons along with customizers do this also.

I can tear a mating dove's heart out when I answer back with this thing. They think they've found true love, but as sometimes happens in the real world, they find it's all a lie. Poor birds....

Guess both you and Prince - formerly known as $%#, formerly known as )@(!, formerly known as {&}, formerly known as Prince - all know how it sounds when doves cry, eh?!

BB,
Opening the mouthcovers indeed helps the harmonica project, it is easy to do, and it actually strengthens the cover. If you would like more info send me a PM or post here. For some very cool drums checkout Farmer Foot Drums.
Meaux

Howdy Meaux!

I’ll be working on some customization of my Spec20s later this week.

So if I want to ‘open up’ the covers a tad wider - What tools will I need, and how will I proceed? And how will all this affect the spacing bar in the center and alignment of the cover screws on either end themselves?

Thank you in advance.