My gear

emcarrahar

19h

Thankyou. I sought out this forum because I inherited a harmonica which I know very little about. My father was an accomplished player but I have never learned to play.
The harmonica I have is a Vintage Hohner tremolo sextet harmonicas have the largest tonal range available of any Hohner tremolo harmonicas.

This is the world’s largest tremolo harmonica which comprises of six instruments in all of the most popular keys, held together like a paddle wheel by six pointed star shaped spindle grips at the ends, so the player can rotate the entire instrument to switch keys, while holding it in both hands.

It can be dismantled for individual playing.

The unique construction allows you to switch between 6 different keys, simply by turning the wheel. Individual harmonicas attached with screws so their order can be adjusted to suit your playing requirements and specification.

Reed plates: brass 0.9 mm

Reeds: 6x 48

Comb: maple wood

Cover plates: stainless steel

Keys: C, D, F, G, A, B FLAT

Total range: 6x 3.5 octaves

Length: 27cm/10.6 inches

3 Likes

Sounds pretty amazing @emcarrahar :+1:

Would live to see a picture of it :camera:

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from My gear:

5 Likes

That’s incredible!

Thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen anything like that :wink: :+1:

4 Likes

Thankyou!

4 Likes

WOW SO COOL!!! :flushed: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

From Hohner:
Kreuzwender Six Sided Tremolo

Hohner Kreuzwender Six Sided Tremolo – If you really want to go the whole hog, you sometimes need a little bit more. Our Sextuple Kreuzwender, the world’s largest tremolo harmonica, comprises a set of six instruments in all the most popular keys, held together like a paddlewheel by six-pointed star shaped spindle grips at the ends, so the player can rotate the entire instrument to switch keys, while holding it in both hands.

Unusual - I don’t think it’s still in production. It’s a tremolo, which tends to be more utilised in East Asia than Europe or America

2 Likes

It’s still made - it’s on the Hohner website

3 Likes

Thankyou so much for the information. I don’t quite know what to do with it as I don’t play. Is it worth anything? I would really like it to go to someone who would get some pleasure out of it.
Kind regards
Elaine

3 Likes

Elaine,
Given that it is still for sale as a new item, it’s not rare or ‘vintage’. It is mainly a ‘novelty’ type of harmonica and unlikely to be used by semi-professional or aspiring players. Tremolos are not typically used in blues music, which is the most well known harmonica arena. East Asia seems to have a lot of harmonica competitions that involve tremolos, but I doubt competitors would be after this ‘unique’ configuration.
The new price is around US$650 (in the US and Australia anyway), so it’s not cheap. There is a very limited market for used examples of this type of harmonica, but a collector or enthusiastic amateur might be interested - but they are likely to be rare!
Hope that helps
Regards
Maka

4 Likes

Thankyou Maka,
The information you have provided is very useful. Kind regards
Elaine

4 Likes