Need opinions on an Amp choice

Here’s my own home-made gigging amp.
HARPSOLO
6J5-6SN7-6V6
Jensen P10R and C10R speakers
Shure controlled magnetic microphone

I have lots of extra parts if anyone wants one.

3 Likes

Hey @Rob3 welcome to the forum. I love the sound of it man. Great work!

1 Like

Thanks! It took a long time, but I finally figured out where that sound comes from.

2 Likes

If you do busking may I suggest a good a battery powered one?

Rob - Welcome! Great sound from your amp. It helps that a player with pretty nice tone and chops is behind the mic. How many watts?

2 Likes

Thanks!

It’s about 5 watts, more or less. I’ve never measured it electronically. My band maintains a pretty reasonable volume level, so it’s plenty for playing at bars. If I ever need more volume I put a microphone in front of it and run it through the PA.

1 Like

I just finished building a harp amp for the guitar player in our band. We were recording on the day I brought it along to give it to him, so I went ahead and tried it out on the recording. This amp is about 3 watts, with a circuit very similar to the one in the clip I posted above. It’s in a 1x12 cabinet, with a Shure controlled magnetic microphone.

4 Likes

Smooth vocals too.

2 Likes

Is there a mic that is specifically designed for free reed instruments like accordion, concertina, or in our case harmonica?

2 Likes

You talking clean? This one’s pricey but nice:

1 Like

That is going to be quite an investment. But I’m sure you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

Depends on your ear and your budget. It’s a subtle difference. But that subtle difference means a lot to your truly.

1 Like

Hundred percent agree with you Mr. Luke, the difference in quality will be barely noticeable, especially if the amps came from good brands, however people with long back ground in sound systems can tell it instantly. I think the audience should also be considered.

3 Likes

How did your amp choices went?

1 Like

Went with the harp gear double trouble. Actually made by Valve Train Amplification,
Sanford, Florida. Was disappointed to hear about Jason Ricci’s harp gear amp shittin the bed while on tour. So it goes -

1 Like

That’s sad to hear, there’s little to rival the disappointment when your gear breaks down in the middle of a tour. Specially when shops are exceedingly hard to find in the area.

1 Like