Need to buy single reeds

Hello Everyone,
I would like to buy single reeds of diatonic Hohner and Lee Oskar. Could you introduce any selling service, please? :’(??? ::slight_smile:
Blue harp passion!
HNG

HNG,
Mike Timler of Harponline used to sell the individual reeds, I don’t know what has become of his Harponline business as he is now head of merchandising for Hohner in Trosslingen.
The reeds are all cut to length for each specific harmonica, in other words you can’t swap a C reed from an F harp to a C harp or vice versa without having to cut the reed. For instance the C reed in hole 4 blow on a C diatonic harmonica would be longer than the C reed in hole 3 blow on an F harmonica.
I made a list of what I would purchase from Harponline if I were to buy from them, and while the reeds seemed to be reasonable in price the shipping was exhorbitant from Germany to Florida (actually more in shipping than the cost of the reeds i wanted)
Mike has promised good things to come from Hohner America in the near future, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that reeds, windsavers, screws, mouthcovers, excetera, become available to us here in the States.
As for Lee Oscar harmonicas, their big selling point has been replacable reedplates. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. It makes as much sense as replacing all 6 strings on a guitar because you accidently broke the high E stringing it up the first time, what makes all the rest of the strings bad? You may really like the way a reedplate responds, but one sour/broken reed shouldn’t be cause for having to purchase an entire reedplate to replace one reed. That is akin to buying a new guitar because you broke a string.

Chromeaddict

Really I Like guitar very much.
As for Lee Oscar harmonicas, their big selling point has been replacable reedplates. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. It makes as much sense as replacing all 6 strings on a guitar because you accidently broke the high E stringing it up the first time, what makes all the rest of the strings bad? You may really like the way a reedplate responds, but one sour/broken reed shouldn’t be cause for having to purchase an entire reedplate to replace one reed. That is akin to buying a new guitar because you broke a string.

Ranjo, the only reason I can see to replace the whole reed plate verses one reed is wouldn’t it be easier.
Unscrew the reed plate drop a new reed plate in.
or replacing one reed would require some special tools.

Harp On!!

How do you put single reeds on? It looks like little rivets instead of screws. Do I need a rivet gun or something?

You’ll need the special craftsman tools and parts to replace reeds. You’ll have to research out where to get them; as well as learn how to do it properly. It’s not as easy as changing out a broken guitar string or shoelace. But it can be done.

Good luck!

I’ve changed single reeds. It’s not real easy, but not too bad. I use a drimmel to cut out the old reed and I take a reed, as close a match as I can get, out of an old reed plate. I bought some very small nuts and bolts from a local hardware store to install them with. The first one I did on a Special 20 Eb years ago and I am still using it. It’s kind of satisfying after doing the work and then playing it.

It's kind of satisfying after doing the work and then playing it.

That’s how I feel when I can emboss/gap the reeds; then put it all back together without losing the nuts, screws and my mind in the process!! ;D

“Have Harps, Will Travel!” 8)

Harmonica $30
Reed Plate $10
Repairs and Adjustments “Headache”
Dispose and Replace “Priceless”

Panama Scott
I’ll take any and all of your “disposed” of harmonicas or reedplates.

Harmonicas $30.00
Reed Plates $10.00
Repairs and Adjustments “Headache”?
Dispose and Replace “Priceless”?

To this I would add “Ignorance Is Bliss”

Johnny Harp -

I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

I must have dumped about a dozen of them in the last 2-3 years… :’(

Harmonica $30 Reed Plate $10 Repairs and Adjustments "Headache" Dispose and Replace "Priceless"

Seems like somebody else has been pulling pages, tips and techniques right out of the ol playbook of our good friend JF (Joe Feeney)!!

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” - Bert Lance circa 1931

“If it ain’t fixed, don’t break it again!” - Dennis The Menace circa 1990

Whatever works!

Smiles!

Keep On Harpin’!

I[quote=“Panama Scott, post:10, topic:2677”]
Harmonica $30
Reed Plate $10
Repairs and Adjustments “Headache”
Dispose and Replace “Priceless”
[/quote]

I’m glad I’m not the only one…But I must say if you got real good at it fixing them why not.

Harp On!!

Where are you getting reed plates for $10???

It would be nice if some harp manufacture would come out with replaceable reeds that’d use small screws or some other easy method of affixing them to the reed plate but since most use rivets or in the case of Suzuki a spot weld it’s not as simple of a matter as it could be.
Most people who play guitar learn over time which strings will last with their playing style. I tried some 9’s on my electric but was braking high E’s like there was no tomorrow. Went back to 10’s and the problem was solved.
I think Lee Oskar figures if one reed went bad that maybe the others are at a point where it’s just a matter of time before they go out too so might as well replace em’ all. Although it’d be nice if you could just buy a single complete reed plate, either draw or blow side for half the money of getting both. That way you’d not spend so much if you just had a 4 draw go out. You could just get the draw reed plate and replace it instead of having to get both.