New Game Changer harmonica

Maybe inspiration for some new “equipment” video(s) ? :wink: :innocent:

3 Likes

You’ve convinced me I want to try one but neither Rockin Rons nor Bushman Music Works will ship to the UK. Hot dammit

3 Likes

I received my key of G. It is identical size to the C and very similar in quality and playability. Amazing. :sunglasses::notes:

2 Likes

Thanks, David, that sounds good. I apologize upfront; I am a Senior and very much old school. :rofl: Isn’t this a bit like the looming self-park vehicles or drives for you? As a Jeep manual owner this gets rid of the fun having the harp bend for you? Also, electric bikes somewhat defeats the purpose of gaining exercise? Again old school, many may not agree .

4 Likes

I feel you! Not for everyone. It’s fun having extra notes though. You ever play a chromatic harmonica?

2 Likes

Yes, many years ago though. If honest, I would have to start all over again. I might just get one and give it a try. Thanks :+1:

3 Likes

This new harmonica is truly a game-changer! The innovation and improvements are impressive, and I can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing this exciting update with us.

Best, - @tiktok con monedas infinitas 2024

1 Like

After seeing Winslow demo pop up on my YT feed, I couldn’t resist trying to get one. Bit difficult as I’m in u.k. After digging around I found a JDR Trochilous available from china so I’ve taken the plunge for a Richter in A harp. So it’s :crossed_fingers:, due within a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Nice @Allan_C! It’s the exact same harp, just different banding. Hope you love it!

2 Likes

I sort of agree with Slim about East:Top Forerunner 1 & 2 plus the 10/40 by East:Top or the Kmise which is identical to the East:Top. With a fair amount of work these can be just as airtight as a valved chromatic, it takes time and effort but it can be done. Other advantages are: they can be washed under running water, being a recording studio player I do all mine after each session and then do a tuning test just to keep the sound engineer happy; for solo tuned diatonic playing 6 harps give all 12 Major and minor keys and if one needs replacing it’s less than £/$60. I have several chromatics ranging in price from £216/$280 to £800/$1,000 but the non valve forerunners are my go to harmonicas used for at least 100 recording sessions a year and I’ve had no complaints, well not yet! Jay1

3 Likes

Welcome Allan_C. An ex-Bristol Brit in Canada.

2 Likes

Welcome Diego :+1:

1 Like

I’m copying and pasting @Hogie.Harmonica (Peter’s) comment from a different thread
so that this info is easy to find.

Also to get Peter to come say hi on this thread as he has put A LOT of time into thinking about and playing the Game Changer harmonicas.

In fact, he’s literally written a book about them!

Hey Jay,

The blue game changers are tuned the same as a regular blues harp. But if you push in the slide, you get a 2nd blues harp. They are a half-step higher. So if you have a C harp, pushing in the slide gives you a Db harp.

You can use these to just reduce the number of harps you carry, but the best way to use them is to “steal” notes from the slide-in “harp”.

Middle octave is identical to Solo tuning, which is the standard tuning for a chromatic harmonica. So if you focus on the middle octave, eventually you can transfer that learning to a regular chromatic (or the yellow solo tuned Trochilus, if you want).

As for relying on tabs - it really depends on your goals. If you want to pick out a tune once in awhile, there’s nothing wrong with tabs. If you want to become a musician, it is very much worth your time to learn to read music. Many ways to go about this, but the main thing is 1) use materials designed to help you learn to read music. Get some that go very, very slow. Because it takes a little more effort to learn to read music on harp because you can’t see the notes. 2) Work with a teacher who can read music.

If you do that and get good at it, it will open doors you never imagined you could walk through. I know it has for me.
[/quote]

2 Likes

This tidbit caught my attention, and I realized that I had never tried playing mine with the button in - (So a G harmonica, button in becomes Ab, so playing in 2nd position in the key of Eb.) So I went and tried it…3 HOURS LATER, I was so jazzed that I had trouble falling asleep that night!

(I also read through your book Peter!! :+1:t3: - and I highly recommend it to anyone who’d like an academic explanation of the GameChanger harmonicas. I’m sure I’ll be returning to it from time to time in the future!)

For players who play a fair amount of chromatic, playing with the slide in may just be old hat, but for me, playing with the slide it was a…well, a game changer! :wink:

Why? To use some jazz theory jargon: In my experience, when improvising, I use lower chromatic approach tones a lot more often than upper chromatic approach tones. They just sound more musical more often.

I’ll have to make a little video some time. But my Game Changers were starting to gather dust, and now they are out and getting a lot of love again! AND, I’m considering buying a couple more keys!!!

Thanks @Hogie.Harmonica

1 Like

Thanks @Luke , glad you are enjoying the book. There’s some errata - I’ll publish a corrections list soon. It is very much designed as a reference for serious players who want to get the most out of the instrument. But it also has information that is good for quick wins for folks that mainly play in positions 1, 2, and 3.

@davidkachalon , concerning your comment on losing the blues by using the slide, this will be true for people not deeply rooted in the style of the blues (its phrasing, its microtonality, type of chromaticism, etc.). If they treat the slide like a teenager uses whammy bar, it won’t be very blues. For blues players, it has to be treated for what it is - a way to use the type of chromaticism used by blues musicians, particularly guitar players and sax players, but also keys. But the use of the slide does not in and of itself make things less bluesy - it’ll be the player’s skill and ear that determines whether it goes well.

If I get into examples it’ll get wordy quickly so I’ll wait to see if there is interest :slight_smile:

If you want to use the slide without losing the blues sound:

• Start with alternate ways of playing the notes you already play. Nearly every note on this harp can be played in two ways. Figure them out to see how it can benefit your expression.
  • If playing in 2nd position, focus on the notes that usually require overblows. Pay very careful attention to how you phrase them. Phrasing them poorly will be decidedly un-bluesy.
  • Chromatic passing tones are your friend. For blues, chromatic scales are not.
  • Don’t clip the airstream. Meaning don’t play a note full force and then push in the slide. Not bluesy unless you are imitating a chromatic harmonica player who does so. Instead, back off slightly before you push in the slide. You’ll get a smoother transition to the next note. I am very into smoothness (no matter which harp I’m playing) and this is a key factor for being able to do that.

The most important thing I have to say though is the music education benefit. With these harps you have easy access to key fundamentals like scales and arpeggios. Typically harp players don’t practice these because they require expert-level skills. This, in all likelihood, actually shrinks the number of musical possibilities we can imagine as harp players. With better access to fundamentals, it is easier to learn to read music, and certainly can improve listening skills.

I could go on for some time, but will pause here. Ask me anything. Luke, maybe we set up an AMA?

3 Likes

Since taking those damned windsavers out of my chromatic I can bend and overblow like a champ on it, I’m just getting the hang of my Chromy but I’m fascinated by this new harp hopefully someone will pick em up in the UK so I can have a go

1 Like