New player in need of help/advice

Hello everyone,

I’m quite new to the harmonica (as the title states) though not to the guitar. I used to sing and play a lot of Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles and whatnot, but due to damaged vocal chords, can no longer handle it. :frowning:

Well, I heard some guy play Lennon’s Julia on Youtube and was inspired. Now I want to be able to play harmonica for the melodies, rather than having to rearrange everything on guitar to squeeze the melodies back in.

All I’ve got is a Hohner Special 20 in C that I picked up ages ago and would mess around with every blue moon for kicks. It sounds fine (outside of one note) but I’m assuming I’ll need a different key (haven’t checked yet) and a different model. Any opinions on said model? I fingerpick with flesh, no nails, so it won’t take much to overwhelm my guitar playing volume-wise.

For those interested, the vid I saw is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TeHzYcEfI#
Julia (The Beatles) - Harmonica

Thanks in advance to all responders! :slight_smile:

That is a nice video but I note he is playing a Chromatic in C but because it is a Chrom he has a much wider range of notes to be able to play.

I think you have set yourself a big hurdle to play this tune but it will be well worth it.

In playing melodies your C harp will handle different keys like G (2nd Pos) up to F (12th Pos). Plus minor keys Am (4th) Em (5th) & Dm (3rd). But it needs an advanced player to often play melodies in these modes on the one key harp.

If a C is the only harp you have I would think of gradually adding the following keys G, D, A & perhaps Bb.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with taking up the
chromatic either…but then I am prejudiced.
Of course you will put out a few more bucks than
for a SP 20 too.
You can always learn both chrom and diatonic.

thebugleboy

Thanks to you both!
I guess I’ll go with a chromatic then. It’s Christmas anyways, so I can splurge a little. :wink:

The only thing left is deciding on a brand. I see lots of options here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Harmonica/Harmonica_Purchasing_guide but wondered what you guys think I should be looking for. I’ll be playing with a neck holder (and maybe learning that way,) so a nice tone that doesn’t require the use of hands for manipulation would be preferable. Also, should I avoid plastic? Are there any brands that don’t work well in/ can be damaged by neck holders?

Sorry for all the questions. Your help is very much appreciated.
Happy holidays! :slight_smile: