New to forum and harmonica...alot of questions!

So I was going to introduce myself in the Introduction thread, but I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone, introduce myself here and ask the questions I can’t seem to find answers to online.

My name is Casey and I’ve only been playing harmonica for about a week. After some research I learned that beginners should start on a C note diatonic, so thats what I bought. I also learned that Hohner Big River or Special 20 were good harps for beginners. So I decided to go with the less expensive of the two for my first time playing a harmonica, being the Big River harp. I have gotten the hang of playing single notes and have learned a couple intros (With God on Our Side, Piano Man), and am currently working on sharpening my single notes and bending.

I guess my first question would be, is the Big River a decent beginners harmonica (i.e. is it going to last a while for a beginner)? Or should I buy one of better quality since I plan on playing much more?

Moving on…I have managed to bend the 1 pretty consistently, and can bend the 4,5, and 6 occasionally. I have been working to recognize the position of my mouth and tongue when I manage a bend, but I’m having difficulty getting clear notes out of the 2 and although I can blow and draw the 3 clearly, I can never get it to bend.

So second question, is it normal to have most difficulty with the 2 and 3 since they bend in multiple tones?
Furthermore, specifically with the 2, it almost always sounds fuzzy (like a foghorn). Why and how do I fix it?

I’m a bit impatient when it comes to learning how to do something, hence that fact that I’ve been playing everyday for a few hours and have learned to bend some notes within a week, but I feel like I might be slowing down as far as mastering my bends. I’m sure like anything else, its just practice and commitment so that doesnt worry me. But…

Does there come a point where a person plateaus and if so, any advice on how do you push past it?

Hi Casey

I’m new to this forum and have just ordered my first harmonica. I wasn’t sure what to buy first off, but I have ordered a Hohner Golden Melody. I want to play blues, but am not sure if this is the right harp or not. However, I guess I have to start somewhere.

You might have improved with bending notes by now, but one thing I read somewhere in my research about harmonica playing was that a new harmonica has to be well and truly broken in before you can bend notes on it, so perhaps that’s why you’re not as successful as you’d like to be. In time it might come right, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Good luck, although it sounds like you’re doing just fine anyway!

Cheers