One week in and HOOKED!!! ..plus a quickie question >

Just wanted to say hey and and a massive awesome thanks to JP!! :stuck_out_tongue: ;D

I randomly happened upon your site when looking for some tips on getting started with the harmonica and bought in there and then!! Im onto lesson 23 already and just getting to grips with the single notes. My aim is to play Dirty Old Town by the pogues and Foggy Dew by sinead O’Connor.

And actually while im on the subject, ive found a tab for foggy due but on the notations some of the numbers have brackets round them. What do the brackets mean please? ???

Thanks

Zoe xx :smiley:

If there are brackets around 2 or more numbers it means to play both or more holes together at the same time. When you get to some advanced tunes you will see like (25). This means you open your mouth/lips wide enough to play holes 2,3,4,&5 and cover 3 & 4 with your tongue. I think you get the idea. I hope I interpreted your question right.

Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile: That did make perfect sense but these are just single numbers with brackets eg (7) 8 (7) (7) 9 etc do u think it could mean draw/blow?

Zoe

Ya I think the brackets might mean draw right Paul.

Happy Harpin
Joe

I am not sure. I have never run across brackets around a single number yet.
Maybe the experienced moderators will chime in again soon and start answering questions again. Seems all the people with the answers have left the forum.

I vaguely remember having a book which used brackets round single numbers to signify the drawing (or sucking) in of air on that note. Hope that helps! :slight_smile: