out of curiously

Morning

I’ve taken upon myself to create the first post in this category, it’s unhealthy but someone got to do it ;D

I’m sure some of you play with amp’s and stuff, so…

On the net you often see or read about special harp-amp’s / microphones. But what’s so special about those?
Can’t “ordinary” equipment be used? I have no knowledge about this so pleas explain.

pica

I use a Fireball V mic thru my keyboard amp, a Behringer K900FX. It gives a clean sound, but if I wanted I could add a guitar pedal to get distortion. I have spent so much on equipment this year, I can’t justify any more equipment until my harmonica playing gets much better.

A lot of Blues players like to use a tube amp(guitar) and crank up the gain for distortion and more bassy sound and usually they use one of the bullet mics.

If you are looking at amplifying, take your time, and TRY different amps and mics. That way you can find the right combination. Unfortunately, that may not be easy to do. It may be hard to find the type of mic or amp you want in your area and you may have to purchase something from a company like Musicians Friend. Fortunately, they have a 45 day return policy.

Good luck and keep on harpin’

Flip

A good starter choice is the Roland Micro Cube. It has a lot of effects and pre-settings.

And you can get it in just about any music store in Sweden. About 1000 SEK I believe.

Thanks

I’m sorry if you misunderstood me, but I’ll try to learn to play properly before starting to go foe amp’s and such. I just wanted to know the difference between the gears made for harp players and other stuff. About the amp’s it was;

But what’s so special about the mics?

It’s a vast subject, you can find very much informartion at this site:

http://www.jt30.com/

I’ve just starting reading about mics because I plan to make one. Basically different elements (crystal, electret, etc.) and different body shapes will cause the mic to distort in different ways and a different frequencies. Some mics will give a clean sound throughout the entire range of the harmonica’s frequencies and some distort easily. It’s all about what the player wants to go for, clean or distorted.

A harp amp is usually based on a regular tube amp, like a Fender. The values for the capacitors are usuallly lowered to better work with a mic and harmonica. Pre-amp tubes are also usually changed to less hotter tubes. The whole idea is to set it up for good tone and less possibilaty of feed-back. Guitar players don’t have to worry about feed-back with a regular amp, but you hook a microphone to that same amp and try to get some volume, it’s probably gonna squeal!
With any amp you have to learn what works best. Try avoiding standing directly in front of the amps speaker. Unidirectional mics work best because they mostly pick up directly in front of the mic and block sounds from the sides and back which can cause feed-back.
There are thousands of amps and microphones to choose from. What works for one may not work for another. Some like clean sound, some like it dirty. One amp and three different mics can give you three different sounds.
I’ve bought and sold many amps lookin for the one. I’m get closer every time. Same with microphones. I’ve got an element out of a cheap mic I really like with certain amps.