Playing in front of an audience!

Glad it went well. “Two drinks and one kind hearted woman” sounds like a song lyric . It got me thinking about being nervous.

It was not my first-first time playing. It was the first time playing a harp fest/blowout. I was a last minute invitation; and knew few local players. Experience didn’t matter - I was up against the local heroes.

There was a house band. I asked if I could bring my guitar player. Not well received until they were sure they wouldn’t have to pay him. So, I didn’t know sh*t about what to expect when I got there but I was nervous to a point of feeling ill.

The first band, the house band with harp player and no dynamics, did 20 minutes of generic blues. They back the next harp player. Adequate player, loud bass player , the band otherwise putting the audience to sleep. I’m panicking (and my guitar player isn’t there yet). The next guy plays 15 minutes acapella - no band. I’m next and wishing I could disappear.

My guitar player arrives during that set (telling me he really doesn’t want to play - great) and he sees that people are drinking and talking, not listening or dancing. He wants to play even less.

In ten minutes we recruited a bass player from the audience, a keyboard player who was running the sound system, and the house band drummer. Not exactly a rehearsed band. I give them the key, groove, and beats per minute, telling them, “Let’s get them dancing”. We hit the stage with Little Walter’s “You’re So Fine” followed by Jr. Wells’ “Hoodoo Man Blues”. You're So Fine....Kevin Greenwood # 2 of Gary's Top 20 Most Viewed - YouTube

The first song fear set in, I was physically stiff, and I don’t remember breathing the first three minutes. By the middle of the second song I was relaxed enough to enjoy the people dancing and calling out. Leaving the stage, knowing this makeshift band killed it, a mix of emotions, feeling like I wanted to throw up, and physically shaking most of the drive home. There are a lot of “first times” for musicians.

Next time will be a snap!

6 Likes

Great story BnT !!! Plus love the idea of that song lyric :blush:

4 Likes