Playing with other musicians

I have been playing around with a harmonica for a couple of years, but I still have not figured out how to play with others. Should I just try to play the chorus, or just play a quiet rythm to keep time as a drummer might do? After all there aren’t a lot of harmonica parts written for most songs.
If it helps, I mostly want to play along around the campfire with friends. Mostly country and folk songs.
P.S. Last weekend when I finally got up the nerve to try a few songs in public I’ll have to say it wasn’t as bad as I had feared. My 14 year old nephew seemed very interested after I played so I gave him an old C harp and he was playing it till the wee hours.

JP recommends finding somebody/a friend who plays guitar.

I only met one guitar player, but um, it’s a long story posted throughout here! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I’m still trying! :slight_smile:

Finding another harp player is good too. Might want to check your local areas via the internet and see if there are any harmonica groups around.

And don’t forget to view all of JPs lessons online or from his dvd set, if you have it.

Plus, there are plenty of song books that JP offers that can help you play all sorts of songs around the campfire, wherever!

P.S. Last weekend when I finally got up the nerve to try a few songs in public I'll have to say it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

I’ve posted your quote above for a friend who will be here shortly! 8) Mwuahahhahaha!

But good luck to you, Rap!

Welcome! Keep us posted!

Keep on smiling!

Keep on harpin’!

Thanks for reading!

Same here Rap about 2 1/2 years for me. And I concur with you I’ve had 3 or 4 opportunities to

play with guitar players and every time I did it was definitely a positive experience. I remember

the first time, I looked at the guy and I said to him what do I play and he told me to just pick

out a note or 2 and just play it with a beet (beat)??? Anyways I did that, he started strumming

his guitar and before long my 1 or 2 notes change to 3 4 5 and it was just awesome. Now that I’m

writing this I sought this guy out after one of J P lessons and his recommendation to find a guitar

player to play with. ( like Dude said). I played with him one more time again positive.

The next opportunity came up with this real talented guitar player actually this guy played everything

keyboards drums accoustic guitar electric guitar sings even taught music…anyways I looked at him

kind of the same way I looked at the last guy and said what do I play. He told me to start play something

and he came in beside me. That time was also very positive. I think if you have a guitar player friend to

play along with just follow a couple of the examples that helped me. Play with him as much as you

possibly can and you will see how good it sounds in a very short time. And it will be the most fun you’ve

had playing your harp.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Harp on!!