Question about hole 2

Hello :slight_smile:
I have Hohner Golden Melody C. I bought it 4 weeks ago or so. But i noticed today that when i suck on hole 2, the sound wont come out. And if it does, i have to suck quite hard. The sound come out very dead if you know what i mean. It doesn’t have that harmonica sound. Should this be like this? Or what should i do to get ride of it?
Best wishes,
TP

TP, the two hole draw reed needs a lift, literally! By that I mean the draw reed needs to be ajusted and this is how to do it. Remove the cover plates of your harp and inspect the 2 draw reed, chances are it’s too deep into the reed plate or stuck. Using a piece of paper placed under the reed, between the reed and reed plate and gently lift the reed so there is a gap between the reed and reed plate. This gap should be the same gapping as the 1 hole and 3hole reeds. This should restore the sound to the 2 hole draw note.

Barry

Woah, so my harmonica is already broken? :o

TP,

Definitely 2D is a challenge heres a youtube vid that might help.

don’t give up just stay at it it’ll come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5ELGrbrgY#
What’s Wrong With My Harmonica? (Why Doesn’t the 2 Draw on My C Harp Work?)

Harp ON!!

Howdy TP!

INRE:

what should i do to get rid of it?

Well for starters, welcome yourself to the Harmonica Universe.

Next, using Barry’s helpful advice, if you need demonstrations on gapping, there’s plenty of clips throughout the forum threads here – So feel free to click and browse.

Good Luck!

Smiles!

Keep On Harpin’!

NO, it’s not broken, this is called reed tweeking and it’s done on the best harmonicas by the best players and customizers. Over your lifttime of harmonica playing you’ll do this hundreds of times to your harmonicas. As you get better you’ll probably do this to simply achieve sounds you perfer on different harps. Your harmonica definitely is NOT broken.

Barry

Sry for not using search, but i was really worried about my harmonica. And because YOU all are much smarter then me, i thought i should ask.

You don’t need to gap the reeds, you just need to work on your technique. You don’t have the back of your tongue dropped low enough. This a very common beginner deal. Don’t mess with your harmonica yet, just work on your technique. It takes a while to get a good 2 draw.

Absolutely this.
Try drawing the 2nd hole while looking up to the ceiling. You’ll see that it works perfectly.

Oh ya I forgot about that. Thats good advise thats how I got it .

How soon i forget.

Harp On!!

Sry for not using search, but i was really worried about my harmonica. And because YOU all are much smarter then me, i thought i should ask.

A) Thanks for the observation and compliment there, TP! We here in the peanut gallery get so few of them, not that we’re looking for them by any means - But it is nice to be noticed every so often! Hehehehe!

B) Feel free to ask away on anything/everything harmonica. Sure, do a little search first to see if the subject has been covered yet. However, whether it has or hasn’t, still everyone’s concerns are valid – And we are into always wanting to learn something new and/or refresh ourselves on the material.

There’s so much to learn and know – So when it comes to Harmonica Universe: A Little Bit of Knowledge Is a Big Piece of Knowledge!

Which brings me to:

C) When it comes to learning about the harmonica, whenever one runs into problems, especially early on as a beginner – They have to do a little detective work to find their solutions.

As an example: For problems with sour notes and stuck reeds and such –

One camp or train of thought might say it’s how “you’re” playing the harmonica that’s causing the difficulties.

Another camp or train of thought might say it’s how “the harmonica” itself is working, acting up, responding that’s causing the difficulties.

Thing is, neither are wrong. Both camps and trains of thoughts are correct!

As we can’t see you or your harps, you have to join the third camp and train of thought which is: By & Through The Process of Elimination!!

As a beginner, everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY, has problems with certain holes - Be it the 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, whatever. That’s just life, man! And woman!

Yet, in your detective work, if you try one solution and it solves the problem, great.

If not, then it’s off to another solution. And hopefully, that will help set you and everything free to keep on going.

Sometimes though, it’s a combination of the two as well.

Only time and experience will tell you this. Again, that’s just life, ladies and gentlemen!!

Even with all that in mind, sure, harmonica reeds may and probably will eventually wear out, go out of whack, et al…When can/does/will it happen? Who knows? Nobody really. It’s just the nature of the instrument.

{All instruments are not beyond failure. As our good friend BB might say: “You can tune a piano, you can tuna fish, but tune a trumpet player - You can’t be serious!” Mwuahahahahaha! Anyway…}

None of this is here to discourage you. Rather give you more insight and useful guidelines to become aware of it when it does happen. And what you can personally do to overcome it/them!

Which brings me to:

D) Just remember to always have fun!

That’s the main thing here. If it’s not fun, then it becomes work. And if it becomes work, then it becomes a struggle. And if, well, you get the idea, as in: Enjoy yourself!

Take care of the little bullshit, and the bigger bullshit will take care of itself. And vice-versa!!

It’s all good!

Smiles!

Good Luck!

Keep us posted!

Keep On Harpin’!

Well, I haven’t seen it mentioned, so here is my experience. I think it worth 2-cents.

I spent alittle money on a certain brand of harp that had all the good reviews. Man, gotta get me one of those!

I bought one of those… it had the same problem as the other harp. Humm?

Could of been the key…F ! Well, -6 on the $90 harp is just like -6 on the $30 harp! What’s up with that?
Now I have $120 on 2 broken harps!

No I don’t, it is just a matter of repositioning my embrasure, how my mouth is shaped. How I attack that hole. Now there are still issues with -6 for me on an F harp, no other harps have given me difficulties on that hole, but things are getting better. Besides, I needed a back up F harp anyways!

I just had a little ‘GAS’ ;D

Well, I appreciate your two cents, Ty-Man. Along with G-Man’s two cents, JF’s two cents, and lil ole me’s two cents – Hell, we’re just about breaking even on Obama’s change purse there…Oh, but I digress…Hehehehe!! Anywhat…

I agree with all you’re saying about changing up embouchure and mouth position etc. to sound the notes. Definitely worth more than 2-cents in anybody’s book!

Yet I’d be a little remiss to myself if I didn’t look more closely at this one:

Well, -6 on the $90 harp is just like -6 on the $30 harp! What's up with that?

Well in offering and tossing in my two cents on the subject – I’d have to say both Yes and No. Meaning like, what’s the difference between a Ford Pinto and a Ford F-150?

Meaning, they were both manufactured by the same company. They were both designed to go down the road and get one to where they were going. However, one blew up and the other is the best selling vehicle the company ever had.

Of course, we can use all sorts of examples to fit the picture here. So no need to belabor those points. Yet too, although four-wheelers aren’t harmonicas - still however, the business structure everywhere seems to be the same.

Meaning, yes, there are differences from one $90 harp versus a $30 one; and no, there’s no differences as to how they are set up, 1-10 is always 1-10. These are both the givens too.

Thing is, I do or have read/heard of people who don’t/won’t work on their harps at all. At the same time though, these people also have other people work on their harps for them i.e. customizations, etc.

Other people, out of necessity, out of curiosity, whatever, do their own work as well.

It all comes down to the individual and their choices. And there’s as many choices as there are individuals to boot!

I guess what I’m trying to relay here is: If you change up your embouchure and mouth position on your specific harp, and it works, great!

But if it doesn’t, could be something else is at play or problematic at hand too.

So it’s going to rely on doing your own detective work to find out what’s what and hopefully solve the problem(s).

You can’t bang on the adjacent keys of an out-of-tune key on the piano in hopes the out-of-tune key will fix itself; no more than you could’ve hoped you wouldn’t get rear-ended by another crazy four-wheeler driver behind you and gotten blown up to bits in your own car! Ah, thankfully, that’s all in the past, and again I digress…Hehehe!

I guess too, as a closing thought here – Like the Ford F-150, if it’s your biggest seller most popular model in your history, aren’t you going to want to protect it more? Meaning, for Hohner, I have to believe that their most popular, most recommend harp ever is the Special 20. So even without knowing for sure, still, I’d have to presume it was their biggest seller and money-maker by far!

Since it’s a mid-ranged price harp, and it’s keeping them in business – Then all they have to really do is just ensure that their quality is perpetually consistent on this one.

Despite people asking for a MS-type or wooden comb Spec20 model-- they haven’t, as far as I’m aware, save some minor details perhaps, ever changed their “formula” on making them. Personally, I wouldn’t either. Don’t break it if it doesn’t have to be fixed!

So in the same light, same vein – All those who purchase and own F-150s like those who purchase and own Spec20s, can’t all be wrong, can they?! Well, tis only asked rhetorically, so it’s all good.

By the same token, when it comes to sour notes and stuck reeds - on $30, $90, even more high $$$ harps – Changing up embouchure is one thing; and yet one can’t fully rule out if it’s not the harp reeds themselves.

One really needs to do their own detective work to find it out for sure.

So finally: A little piece of knowledge is a big piece of knowledge in the Harmonica Universe!

Am just saying…

Smiles!

Keep On Harpin’!

Hey TP,

Here is JP’s response to your question on the FAQ: “Why do my harmonica notes sound bad?” - http://harmonica.zendesk.com/entries/74708-why-do-my-harmonica-notes-sound-bad

Cheers,
Ashish

Well hopefully Tauri got this fixed, as the thread is two weeks old by now.

But I’ll throw my two cents in anyway.

While I’m sure noobs like myself and Tauri need plenty of work on our technique, especially when it comes to things like learning to bend properly, never mind overblow, or even just getting a good consistent tone, it shouldn’t be that hard to get a sound at all. It’s like the slogan says; “just breath”.

If that isn’t working, I think it’s best to take Barry’s advice here, and try another slogan, “mind the gap”. At least that’s what worked for me when I had a similar problem with my Lee Oskar this week.

Nice thing about adjusting a draw reed is you only have to remove the covers, not the reed plates, and you can see the gaps there right on the bottom of the lower plate. From the description (sound when you suck hard) it sounds like the gap maybe got too wide, just needs a bit of a gentle push in (best from near the base of the reed).