Question on program

Hi there,

Quick question on pace of lessons. In the description it says 3 months, 6 months etc. I’m wondering the rate of lessons for progress. Can anyone share or please elaborate?

I appreciate any insight.

Jason

4 Likes

My belief is that everyone will be different as some techniques are easier for some and more difficult for others.

It will also depend on what you consider ‘good enough’ to move on from a lesson. Luke mentioned in several videos that (we) beginners are ‘learning by immersion’ for this particular course – perfection is not the goal, it is a jumping off point in order to keep learning other techniques. Then circle back to something if you get stuck. That advice has helped me.

So, strive for perfection, but accept a little less (for now) in order to keep moving forward in the course and to keep motivation high.

I’m into week 10 and now into the final module, happy with progress. Please take this as only one person’s experience.

Hope this helps.
-Don

5 Likes

This is great advice, thanks Don. I’m in module 2 and have gone back to the dirty blues and folk and twice and plan to move forward. I did the 3 free lessons for 30 days over and over making sure it would stick before I took the plunge and paid for it. I’ve been a pretty good routine at this point. Thanks for your insight!

Jason

2 Likes

I agree with Jason. Your misic journey shouldn’t be forced but rather an experience to be enjoyed at your own pace. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I can only relate my own experience, but it has been just under a year since I started “Beginner to Boss”. I loved (and still love) the experience, and how the lessons are structured. I would only allow myself to budget 20 to 30 minutes a a lesson a day. I took Luke’s advice and “kept rockin’ on” without getting to obsessed with what I could not pick up in a single lesson. If it was a really tough one, I would circle the lesson number on my progress sheet so I could come back to it, and stumble as best I could through the three speeds – especially as things got REALLY tough in Module 7! The good part is that the end the lessons are still rich and rewarding to go back through, and a good reference point for other resources to explore on the internet. I finished in three months, but has been slowly working though the whole course again over the past nine – not necessarily in order, but generally working on clean single note tone, then continuing the challenge of bending, and now focusing on blocking – while still working on the other skills, Going back to an old lesson that challenged me a few months ago is really satisfying, because I can see my progress. Still have a long way to go, but feeling “boss” about the joy it has given me.

6 Likes

Hey @lang - good to see you here, and I couldn’t have asked for a better description of how to get the most out of the course.

#1 Objective: STAY INSPIRED

A counter-intuitive principle I’ve learned over my lifetime pursuing music: the slower you go, the faster you grow.

I know some people who say they got the most out of the course their 3rd time through it.

If I bought this course, I’d do exactly what you did @lang, take my time, and then go revisit things that I feel inspired by returning to for whatever reason.

Keep on Rocking! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great question! No right or wrong answer here. @lang shared great perspectives, and I kinda answer your question in my response to him.

2 Likes

Thank you, very helpful!

2 Likes

Hi @Luke, I agree. This was my original course that i chose and have since done 3 more courses. I still circle back through when i remember a good song/technique that i had difficulty with. Its also good yardstick to measure if you’ve improved or not. :call_me_hand:

3 Likes