read music

Do I need to know how to read music to
Be a good harmonica player?

Absolutely not! ;D

No, you do not have to be a good player, if you can hum a tune, you can play the phone book.

I know this is an old thread, but the topic is one that I have strong feelings about.

Why not learn to read music? It isn’t very hard. Will it make you a better harmonica player? The answer is yes, ultimately it will make you a better player because it will open up a whole new musical world, and you’ll have a working knowledge of the instrument you play, its strengths, limitations and what all those other positions are about. You’ll be a better all-around musician for it.

It will expand your horizons, and who doesn’t want that?

Why not learn all you can about music? Learn your way around the piano, learn about chords, maybe even get into playing the chromatic harmonica?

I think the harp player in the band should be the most knowledgable when it comes to music theory. It gives you strength, it gives you traction, it gives you authority. Who doesn’t want that?

All you need, really, is a music theory book and a keyboard. I taught myself all the basics in exactly that way, before I went to music school.

It’s not that difficult. So, why not?

Good post!

thebugleboy