Special 20 sounds different, and louder, than my cheap one?

Hi people,

New here!

Few weeks ago when I purchased JP’s course, I went out to buy a cheap harmonica. There was only one model in key of C, and 10 holes, so I got that. It looks exactly like the Hohner Special 20.

But, yesterday I got a Hohner Special 20 through eBay as I figured I’d like something that was recommended, and I had no idea if the no-name harmonica I got first, was any good or bad.

So far my questions are:

1. They sound different. I can’t really say which sound I like most, the no-name or the Special 20. Maybe I just need to get used to the Special 20. But why is that, a matter of quality?

2. The Special 20 is louder as volume. I blow the same amount of air, but the 20 is louder than the no-name. That’s how it’s supposed to be, right?

3. Finally, any tips on how to “play silently” as to not annoy the neighbours in my building?

Thanks.

Harp student,

Welcome to the forum good luck with JP’s course I took it and it did me very well.

I think for the most part you get what you pay for with harmonica’s. So the Spec20 will
sound louder which is good.

Find an isolated place you can practice or get real good real quick…heheheh.

You could try cupping the harmonica, that should cut down on some of the volume.

Good luck

Harp On!!

Thanks for the cupping-tip, that does seem to muffle the sound a little bit, so I’ll try that - hopefully it’s enough :slight_smile:

I just did a quick audio recording with my iPhone… the first “tucka ticka on hole 1 and 2” is the no-name harmonica, and the 2nd part (after you hear my changing them) is the Special 20.

Does it sound right to you, or is there something wrong with the sound from the Special 20, apart from me playing it? :smiley:

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45523518/Forums/harmonica_noname-vs-special20.m4a

No it definitely sounds OK to me ;D
Use your spec20 and keep the other one as a backup.
Pretty cool though :wink:
Harp on

Thanks Joe, appreciate it. Having played the no-name harmonica for a few weeks while viewing the videos, I guess I got used to how it sounds so playing the Special 20 makes me think there’s something wrong with :slight_smile:

But I’ll continue with the Special 20 until I have it mastered (or die trying).

Howdy HS!

[i]So far my questions are:

1. They sound different. I can’t really say which sound I like most, the no-name or the Special 20. Maybe I just need to get used to the Special 20. But why is that, a matter of quality?[/i]

For the most part on better made harps, the quality goes in before the name goes on. You’ll just have to learn as you go along!

2) The Special 20 is louder as volume. I blow the same amount of air, but the 20 is louder than the no-name. That’s how it’s supposed to be, right?

Yes, right! Why? See above!

3) Finally, any tips on how to “play silently” as to not annoy the neighbors in my building?

[b]We talked about that way back when here:

http://www.harmonica.com/forums/harmonica-gear-investment-and-support/playing-to-yourself/

If any of these suggestions work for you, let us know![/b]

Thanks.

[b]Welcome!

Enjoy!

Have fun!

Keep On Harpin’! [/b]

Well, I found out that if you’re taking your quilt over your head and playing underneath it, that will muffle the sound a bit. But it’s not very practical or comfortable - and it gets warm rather quickly. But on the plus side, I’m sure if people see harmonica sounds coming from a quilt, their expression will be priceless.

I did ask the guy who lives below me if he had heard me practice, he said no. But that was before I got the Special 20, which is a bit louder. I’m also not sure if it’s just because I’ve been playing mostly holes 1 and 2, I think 4-6 are louder.

So, I guess I just have to keep harping and wait for someone to complain - or buy myself a house so I don’t have anybody else in the building to worry about :slight_smile:

And when I get as good as JP, I can play out on the terrace (I have the top-flat), so everybody else with an open window will be able to enjoy my tunes ;D

If your apartment walls are as paper-thin as you claim they are, do the following:

Get yourself of a set of drums, complete with cowbell and all.

Whether you can actually play them or not, no matter. Just beat on them all hours of the day and night for about a week or so.

After the neighbors complain about all the noise and racket, and right before they sign the petition to have you evicted, just smile and say - “Okay, no problem, folks!”

Toss out the set of drums, complete with cowbell and all.

Then go back to playing your harmonicas.

Pretty much guaranteed they won’t hear a thing coming from your apartment after that!

Enjoy!

Keep On Harpin’!

That sounds like something one would with his wife and The Marriage Bank ;D

Nah, I’ll just keep playing and see what happens. It’s not like the people are evil in the building, so if they are bothered, I’m sure I’ll find out one way or another.

Here’s my hat tip, Spud! That’s about the best advice I’ve heard from you yet. I like it.

BB