Spooky Tunes on Harmonica

Sorry I’m late on posting this, but at least it’ll be here for future reference…

Spooky Tunes for Halloween :jack_o_lantern:

600x400

As you know,

I’m a big believer in the

POWER of PERFORMANCE.

:musical_note::muscle:t3:

This comes from years of watching students take QUANTUM LEAPS in their skill level after performing in front of a group of people, small or large. It never fails.

It doesn’t even matter whether the performance feels successful or not.

The act of doing it WILL level up your skills.

GUARANTEED.

So whenever a holiday is approaching, I’m always thinking about what songs could people work on, in order to have an opportunity to play in front of friends or family members (…or strangers on the street).

When it comes to Halloween, it can be hard to think up even a handful of songs. But I’ve found a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing, and who knows? Maybe you’ll have the courage to spruce up your street with some Halloween harmonica while trick-or-treating…

For Beginners with a Standard Harmonica: Ghostbusters :ghost::no_entry_sign:

:point_right: If you have a 10-hole harmonica and you can play single notes, then you’re ready to play the iconic synth hook from the Ghostbusters theme song. Here’s the tabs:

6 6 -7 6 -6 -5

6 6 6 6 -5 6

6 6 -7 6 -6 -5

6 6 6 6 -5 -6 6

That’s not too hard! The -7 can be a bit tricky for beginners, but other than that, a nice way to play an easily recognizable melody for the holiday.

And for you intermediate and advanced players, the synth hook during the “I ain’t afraid of no ghost” part of the song is a great bending workout:

-3’ -2 (Five times)

-2” -2’ -2

You can check me out playing those here.

For Beginners with a Harmonic Minor Harmonica

If you’ve been considering buying a Harmonic Minor harmonica, now would be a great time to do it. The Harmonic Minor has an intense, spooky vibe to it, and I’ve already shown how to play 5 great songs on it here.

I like the Lee Oskar Low E Harmonic Minor because it’s relatively inexpensive, and the low key is nice and mellow, never shrill.

You could play the old classic :zombie: We Are Here to Scare You :zombie: very easily on one of these:

4 5 6 7 -6 6 -5 5 -4

Of course, you could also play that on a standard tuned harmonica in 4th position without bends:

-6 7 8 -10 -9 8 -8 7 -7 -6

(OR down the octave WITH bends -3” 4 5 -6 -5 5 -4 4 -3 -3”)

Check those out here.

BUT the Harmonic Minor is nice because you can play dirty, or add in chords and sounds great. Check out what I mean here.

:candle: Halloween Night :candle: is another easy song to play on a Harmonic Minor harmonica:

4 4 4 4 5 5 5 -4 -4 -5

4 4 5 -6 -6 -6 6

You can hear me demonstrate that here.

But the fact of the matter is that you can pretty much just blow and draw haphazardly on a Harmonic Minor harmonica and it’s gonna sound nice and spooky!

I kinda demonstrate that in this version of Carmina Burana which is another song suitable for the scary holiday, composed by Carl Orff in 1936.

For Advanced Players with a Natural Minor Harmonica (or Standard😱)

If you don’t know In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg, by name, you probably still know it by sound, as the theme that the Norwegian composer penned in 1875 can be heard in countless movies, TV shows, ads, and video games.

I’ve already written about the difference between Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor harmonicas here.

Compared to a standard harmonica that has 3 bent positions, the Natural Minor harmonica’s -3 is a half-step lower, and so only has 2 bent positions. In the Hall of the Mountain King is a great song for practicing the two -3 bends available on a Natural Minor harmonica. Here are the tabs:

-2 -3’ -3 4 -4 -3 -4

-4’ -3’ -4

4 -3” 4

-2 -3’ -3 4 -4 -3 -4 6 -5 -4 -3 -4 -5

But it actually is possible to play it in 2nd position on a Standard C harmonica. You can hear me give her a shot here.

These are the tabs:

-2 -3” -3’ 4 -4 -3’ -4

-4’ -3” -4

4 -3’’’ 4

-2 -3” -3’ 4 -4 -3’ -4 6 -5 -4 -3’ -4 -5

So challenging to play that :point_up_2:t3: in tune with good tone.

I hope you have fun trying out some of these spooky tunes.

5 Likes

Thats pretty cool Luke.
I also enjoyed reading and listening to your post on low tuned harmonicas. I don’t have a musical ear, but the low tuned sound reminded me of harpsichord. Maybe I’m just imagining it. In any case, it got me thinking that ‘The Adams Family’ theme would be cool also.

3 Likes

Thanks, I always want any holiday theme songs as they are the best for having fun with others. I like the video because without the music I usually cannot figure out the song with just tabs until I hear it. I had no idea this song was called this and I heard it in countless cartoons as a kid. That is a challenging bend exercise.

2 Likes

Is that a Low E diatonic or a an E Natural minor or harmonic minor? I am still working on understanding all these harmonicas and the only low keys I see from lee oscar are in the diatonic line. The natural minor and harmonic minor lines don’t seem to have low keys.

2 Likes

It’s Harmonic Minor. Lee Oskar does have Harmonic Minor both in E and and LE. Remember Harmonic Minor harmonics are labeled in 1st position, so E is very high. Low E is what I’m playing here.

And of course you can special order from Seydel in ANY key and tuning (if you like Sedyels.)

This post should help clarify the different sounds of Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor:

1 Like