Suzuki Bluesmaster in key of G

I’ve got a Special 20 and a Lee Oskar in C but I’m not fond of the high pitch so I got a Suzuki Bluesmaster in the key of G and one coming in the key of A. I can blow and draw very well in all holes except the 3rd hole. No trouble with the 2 draw but the note is trying to bend in the 3rd hole on the blow and draw with normal breath pressure. I can get the notes to sound correctly if I say EEEE as I’m blowing or drawing. Is that normal for this harp? Is it normal for the lower keys perhaps or do I have a problem?

Is this on all the harps or only the Suzuki?

Bb

Only the Suzuki.

Actually that is how Jon Gindick teaches to bend. Saying Koo-Kee while drawing. Koo is the bent note and Kee is the unbent note.

What I’m trying to discover here is if there’s a problem with the harmonica since I have to say EEEE to get a natural note on both the blow and draw. I get a partial bend if I blow and draw normally. On the lower keys is the 3 hole a normal problem hole like hole 2 is on the C and above harmonicas?

I don’t think so! I could be wrong, but from what I’ve read most people have a problem hitting the unbent note because they naturally tend to bend in the first place.
That wasn’t my problem! I had to work for every bend.

Icandy/All
I see time and time again posts from beginners who have jumped to the conclusion that something is wrong with their harmonica because they can’t get it to do what they expect of it. You ARE a beginner, your problems stem from poor technique. Upper and mid ranged priced harmonicas perform quite uniformly for beginners and should not be at fault (there are exceptions of course but are much more rare than someone posting about a defective harmonica)
Here is what I see: Most people think music will jump from the harmonica because they put it to their lips.
Then: Why doesn’t it sound like? (insert whomever) I have the same harmonica, am playing the same holes (at least the tab I am following)
I have been practicing for a month now and am ready to jam, but these faulty harmonicas are holding me back. (I concede this is purely conjectural, but read on)
Truth is: As a player with 30 years under my belt I see wanna be’s come and go all the time, with the proliferation of information due to the internet I am seeing more all the time.
Thing is: 75% of you will give up harmonica (oh well, guitar was a discipline too)
20% will reach a low level of expertise and be happy with that, (OK)
3-4% will get good, and one percent will become masters. For me, I am not happy being merely good. Long post short? Practice alot, learn the capabilities of the instrument fully as you progress, don’t expect something for nothing, you get out what you put in, in terms of hours practiced.
“Sometimes the best lessons, are the hardest to take”
Supe

That’s right!

Its just the way it rolls! Until you’ve been playing for a while…assume the harmonica is right and you aren’t.

Enjoy the journey! Or else the whole thing stinks!

–BT