The Absolute Best

There have been a small group of material objects that I’ve admired by virtue of their absolute quality. When no expense is spared in materials or fit. Among these are the Rolls-Royce motorcar, the Dunhill pipe and the Rolex watch. These are not run of the mill objects with fine exteriors but rather works of art that are built from the inside to the outside with the utmost precision. Alas, they are very expensive. It seems that no matter what object is made, no matter how common, there is someone making it the best it can be.

It would not surprise me if such a harp exists. Would anyone know?

L.R.

OOB…Seydel? Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.
This is way out of my experiance and wallet range. I am sure the PROs all have there own opinion and I bet each is different. The most cherished are the customized harps, be careful and patient with buying these. A lot of people have forked over BIG BUCKS and waited a couple of years and got cheated out of their money and harps.
I’ll stay on the Special 20 end of the scale till I am famous and my harp playing can buy me some nicer harps. (Hey, I can dream can’t I)

Me too PB. I have a Special 20 on the way and I also have a couple of Hohner Pro harps. One in C, the other in G. Knowing little to nothing about the harmonica I bought the G because I love the violins G string so much. I was thinking much the same as you…That a custom would have to be made. My problem is I don’t know where the difference (quality difference, that is) would come in. Vibration is the only movement and this oscillation will cause degradation over time. Remember though that a Rolls will need filter replacements, a Rolex will need cleaning and a Dunhill a reaming sooner or later. This is not lack of quality but rather normal maintenance. A violin will need an adjustment of the sound post and new strings from time to time.

I’m always interested in what, exactly makes a fine object fine. The harmonica is one of the most difficult for me to define. Materials and fit would come into play but I suspect there is more. I believe I read that Mr. Allen considers a wooden reed to be fallible due to moisture absorption. This makes sense but would it be worth it (for the pro) to have enough “stand by’s” to use wood? I know, I know, I can pick this apart till the cows come home.

It would seem that good covers and a “bolt action” quality fastening system (screws) would come into play. It’s the object that produces frequency that seems a variable.

Cars are so evenly matched on the racing circuit that the expression is that it’s the driver, not the car that makes a difference. So it goes with musical instruments. An inferior harp in the hands of anyone reading this post would seem more valuable than the finest in my hands.

I’ve been playing the violin for nearly forty years. My fiddle is a copy of a Jacob Stainer. They are known for their high arched belly between the F holes. It is not what a professional would use. But for me it is just fine.

Mr. Allen has said that he uses the Hohner Special 20 all the time. Keeping this in mind, I also know that many people of great wealth drive standard cars, wear Timex watches and smoke corn cob pipes.

My goal is to have fun and rewards with the harmonica. Not to own the best. But, I do want to understand exactly what is considered the best. And, why it is so good.

I guess there are so many negatives to humanity that I have a great time focusing on the positives that humans can create. A Trek bicycle is one, a plastic heart valve is another. There is no end to the parade of human achievement. Be it pos or neg, I’m interested in the best harp.

Respect,

LR

I swear by the Marine Band…but I’ve never had the opportunity to play a high end harp.

But I hear that the Suzuki Manjj is quite the harp!

–BT

How about a $280.00 Diatonic

http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-F-20E-Fabulous-Diatonic-Harmonica/dp/B001O5KA50/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328660246&sr=8-1-spell

Thats radical G-Man…I paid $150 for my Chromo…but thats the most I’ve paid for a harp…dang though!

Peace Out!

–BT

THE BEST IS MARINE BAND DELUXE!

I’ve been listening to video after video of people playing cheap to very expensive harps and dang if I can hear much of a difference except for one. The only harp I can tell when I hear it is the one gregmatic posted a link for; the Fabulous. Oh, OoOOo, it’s gone down in price to ONLY $205.00 and there’s 3 left. Imagine that! Anyway, I happen to like Suzuki and I’m very happy with the affordable Bluesmaster so I’ll probably say they’re the best until I become famous and they ship me free ones so I can endorse them. :-*

If we think it through, in the big picture, if playing piano, $200 gets one nowhere, one barely buys an entry level unweighed keyboard which in the piano world its considered better only than nothing; if playing a guitar, $200 are enough for a minimum acceptable guitar. So, myself, getting hooked up recently by the harmonica, consider that few hundred bucks for a top notch harmonica, like Suzuki Fabulous, is totaly acceptable for someone who can tell the difference between it and a $50 Suzuki Manji. And the fact that one already can buy an extraordinary good intrument with up to $100 like Hohner Crossover, Suzuki Manji or Seydel 1847 its just AMAZING to me.

Not sure but A dannecker optimus harp cost about 300 bucks anyone ever try one of those?

I have checked on the internet and found the following extravagant harmonica:

Seydel 1847 L.E., a limited edition on the occasion of the company’s 160th birthday for around 980 bucks. Cover plates made of massive silver and wooden body made of the reddish real wood Bubinga

Here is the link:
http://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel1847.sf/sec16ae24b386/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Seydel/Products/"1847%20L.E."/SubProducts/"1847%20L.E."