Tuning harmonicas

Is there a detailed site that shows how to tune harmonicas? Or perhaps someone in this forum can help. I purchased the set of 7 from JP several years ago, and went on line to see how I could clean them - followed instructions, but I think I was too aggressive. They are more difficult to play and bending on some is almost impossible. In short, I messed up and there is no one in my area who can help with it. I’m very disappointed in myself for doing that.
Any suggestions?

Hi emptyspace,

Check out this video. I’ve used it to great advantage.

Gruß
– Slim

1 Like

Thanks again. Looks like exactly what I need. I have a lot of cheap old ones to practice on. Were you hesitant to try it at first? and does it come easy for you now? I’m nervous that I’ll damage them more than I already have.

I watched a video(don’t remember which" and attempted a cleaning on a Hohner Blues Band Key of C. It now sounds out of tune compared to my brand new Tombi “Oskar” Harmonica that I purchased the same week as the cleaning. I’m very puzzled. Any advice from the crowd?

If you have a “lot of cheap old ones” then don’t worry or hesitate to try out what you see in the video. To be honest, you have to be pretty “ham-fisted” to ruin the typical diatonic – but, nevertheless, it is best to begin on “cheap old ones” !! :laughing:

It is now much easier and less frightening for me to do work on my harps and I do various adjustments even on new, expensive ones if I notice problems after trying them out for the first several days.

You might want to try testing the tuning using this “virtual piano” on both the older one that you cleaned and the new one.

Thanks. If it is out of tune… am I out of options… aside of casting it aside? Although the new Lee Oskar was not prohibitive. But I like to have one in my pocket (the assumed out of tune Hohner) and the reliable in tune L.O.

To a certain degree it depends on the reed(s) that are no longer properly tuned. But to keep this reply short and not technical, it is usually not possible to do much without spending more time than it is worth trying to get the reed(s) tuned.

If Hohner does not sell replacement parts for the model in question then it is probably best to buy a new harp. I have been very pleased with the Hohner Rocket models and the Suzuki Bluesmaster. I find them to be priced reasonably and prefer them to my previous favorites (Lee Oskar). But if you find Lee Oskar harps easy to play and bend your notes then there is no reason to change. :sunglasses: